News: Edwin Rodriguez; Rico Ramos
WORCESTER, Mass. (Feb. 26, 2010) – Highly-touted, undefeated super middleweight prospect Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez is preparing for his nationally televised debut March 19 in an 8-round co-feature against veteran George “The Rooster” Armenta on ESPN Friday Night Fights, live from Choctaw Gaming Center in Durant, Oklahoma. The Dominican Republic-born Rodriguez (13-0, 9 KOs), fighting out of Worcester (MA), was on most 2010 Prospect Watch lists, based on his perfect 5-0 (4 KOs) record last year, as well as his amateur pedigree that includes gold-medal performances in the 2005 USA Boxing National Championships and 2006 U.S. National Golden Gloves Tournament..
“I’m excited to be in my first nationally televised fight,” Rodriguez said. “It’s certainly more of a challenge and pressure, but I’ve always performed better under pressure. It’s time. I want to be impressive in my first nationally televised fight so fans all over can see what type of fighter I am. It’s a very important fight because it’ll also back-up all of the good things written and said about me as a top prospect. I’m ready for the challenge and plan to show everybody that I’m worth the hype.”
“Edwin has received a lot of accolades for being a top prospect and he was a great amateur,” Rodriguez’ manager Larry Army noted. “But after this fight he won’t be flying under the radar anymore. This is a great opportunity to get him where we want him to be, showcasing his talent, nationally. One of the key reasons we signed with DiBella Entertainment are the great television contacts Lou has and it’s already paying off for us.”
Armenta (13-5, 11 KOs) is battle-tested having knocked out 2000 U.S. Olympian Dante Craig and gone the distance against current WBA light middleweight champion Yuri Foreman and top contender Sechew Powell, who, ironically headlines against Deandre Latimore in a rematch on the Mar. 19th Lou DiBella promoted card.
“Armenta is a tough fighter who keeps coming forward,” Rodriguez added. “He’ll be in tremendous shape and he throws a lot of punches. His ability will help me look good because he’ll bring the best out of me. I’ll b able to really showcase my talent against a solid opponent. Armenta has never been kayoed, so that’s another challenge for me.”
RICO RAMOS TAKES NEXT STEP TOWARD WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE DEFENSE, DALLAS, JR AND MOLINA HIGHLIGHT MARCH 5
Los Angeles, CA (February 26, 2010) – A trio of Goossen Tutor Promotions’ hot young prospects will be in action on the super-charged undercard of promoter Dan Goossen’s seven-bout pro boxing event in the Grand Ballroom of the Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, California on March 5th.
The scheduled eight-round, co-featured bout – to be televised on “ESPN Friday Night Fights” underneath the 12-round NABO Lightweight Championship main event pitting titleholder Martin Honorio versus Wilton Hilario – will showcase the enormous talent of undefeated NABO Youth Super Bantamweight Champion Rico “Sauvecito” Ramos (14-0, 8 KOs) of Los Angeles, CA in his first title defense against veteran Mexican Cecilio “Boga” Santos (24-12-3, 14 KOs).
In addition to Ramos, stablemates Michael “The Silent Assassin” Dallas, Jr. (11-0-1, 2 KOS) and John Molina, Jr. (18-1, 14 KOs) are slated to see action in front of an enthusiastic crowd at Pechanga.
The 22-year old Ramos will be making his fourth appearance at Pechanga, as his non-stop work ethic, aggressive style and blinding speed have made him a fan favorite there. Ramos debuted at Pechanga in his fifth pro fight by outpointing Jonathan Velardez in July 2008. Last September, he stopped Victor Martinez in the third round and, in his most recent outing back in November he garnered a hard-fought, toe-to-toe battle gaining a unanimous eight-round decision over Alejandro Perez in a bout televised on Showtime.
“I have enjoyed performing at Pechanga and am looking forward to doing it again on March 5,” said Ramos who, in the 31-year old Santos, will be facing a man with experience in four world title bouts. “I know Santos has the edge in experience and quality of opponents, but he hasn’t faced anyone like me and what I bring to the table. And I am getting even better with each fight. I plan to show that to him, as well as my fans.”
“If Ramos thinks he is going to use me as a stepping stone, he has another thing coming,” insisted Santos, who fought to a majority draw in his biggest fight to date when he challenged IBF Super Flyweight king Dmitry Kirilov two years ago. “Martin Honorio pulled off an upset of undefeated John Molina, Jr. last time he was at Pechanga, and this Mexican plans to follow suit by giving Ramos his first loss.”
Fighting for the third time at Pechanga, Michael Dallas, Jr. will take on Tijuana’s Fabian “El Lobo” Luque in a scheduled six-round junior welterweight battle. The 32-year old Luque (21-9-4, 12 KOs) is a 13-year pro whose last four opponents had a combined record of 65-0-2 (47 KOs).
“Luque is a veteran that has been in there with some very good fighters,” the Jackie Kallen-managed Dallas revealed. “This bout will be a good measuring stick for me as I continue to develop as a boxer.”
Bakersfield, CA native Dallas, age 23, posted a six-round, unanimous-decision win over Sergio Joel De La Torre in his last outing back in October. In his two previous visits to the Temecula casino, Dallas stopped James Helmes in the first round back in August, 2008 and registered a unanimous-decision victory over Vincent Arroyo last September.
Looking to rebound from his first loss to March 5th headliner Martin Honorio at Pechanga back in late November, will be Covina, CA lightweight John Molina, Jr., who has been added to the show.
“Ever since that night I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back in the ring,” said Molina who courageously fought with a bad case of the flu against Honorio in order to basically save the Showtime telecast. “That wasn’t me in the ring that night, but a shadow of myself. I plan on putting in a good performance on March 5th and hope it will get me a rematch with Honorio, provided he holds up his end against Hilario.”
Other bouts rounding out the Pechanga card include a pair of four-rounders:
Junior Featherweights Walter “School Boy” Sarnoi (4-0, 2 KOs, Monterey Park, CA) vs. Jerry Mondragon (3-1, 2 KOs, Fresno, CA); and Bantamweights Ephraim Martinez (3-0, 1 KO, Buttonwillow, CA) vs. Rufino Serrano (4-2, Santa Maria, CA).
“We have some of the best young talent ready to go all out in competitive fights at one of the most beautiful casinos in the U.S., and all of it captured by ESPN,” Goossen said. “In Honorio we have a fighter looking to get back to world title contention and a win over Hilario will do it. Whereas Hilario knows if he beats Honorio, he joins an elite group of world-class fighters.”
“Many would say the man to watch on the 5th is the fast-rising Rico Ramos, and for good reason. Tune in at Pechanga or ESPN2 to see for yourself.”
Tickets priced at $70 Premium Ringside (Rows 1-3), $60 (Ringside Rows 4-7), $45 (VIP rows 8-11) and $30 General Admission (Rows 12 and beyond) are available at the Pechanga Box Office from 10am to 10pm or by calling 1-877-2WIN and press 2. Doors open at 5:00 PM. First Bout is at 6:00 PM.