Home Boxing News Scott Quigg vs Rendall Munroe – Fight report and undercard

Scott Quigg vs Rendall Munroe – Fight report and undercard

The fight between Bury’s Scott Quigg and Rendall Munroe; the former boxing bin man from Leicester, was anticipated to be the biggest domestic showdown of the year, but on a night where three cracking chief support bouts set the standard for the main event, many of the fans in the arena were to be left disappointed.

Martin Murray kicked off the chief support taking on the French middleweight champion Karim Achour. Many had predicted an easy nights work for Martin and saw this as a warm up fight for another potential world title shot later on in the year,  Achour however was determined to throw a spanner in the works.  Murray threw his best shots at Achour who took them and gave back as good as he got. Murray looked to have rocked the Frenchman at one point late on but Achour proved what a tough competitor he was by coming back strong.  At the final bell referee Steve Gray awarded the fight to Martin Murray with a score of 98-93, with the cleaner more accurate work coming from the St. Helens man, Achour however leaving the ring with nothing to be ashamed of after putting up a more than convincing account of himself.

Next up was Hatton Promotion’s heavyweight hopeful; Richard ’inferno’ Towers challenging for the EU heavyweight title.  Standing at 6 foot 8” and with 13 wins to his name, 10 coming by the way of knockout, big things were expected of the man from steel city.  The man he shared the ring with was Gregory Tony from France.  A fighter who previously had been in with names such as Robert Helenius and Mike Perez and was known to have decent power in his right hand, a great step up fight for Towers.  The fight started well for Towers who looked to pack too much of a punch for Tony, sending him to the canvas in the second round.  Everything looked to have gone pear-shaped in the 5th round though as Tony caught Towers with a big right hand and unloaded a barrage of shots with no response from Towers, with only the ropes keeping him up.  Eventually after a huge beating that left ‘inferno’ bloodied, he was saved by the bell for the end of the round, the referee deserving of Towers’ gratitude for allowing the fight to continue when many would have waved the fight off. Tony seemed to have exhausted most of his energy in attempting to finish Towers off and shipped some big shots in the following rounds, finally succumbing in the 8th when he was sent to the canvas three times.  At this point he looked to be complaining about some sort of hand injury and in the 9th round he held his hand up and informed the ref he could no longer continue.  The result going on record as a 9th round TKO in favour of Richard Towers.

The final bout of the night before the main event was Sheffield’s ever popular Ryan Rhodes taking on the big punching Belarusian; Sergey Rabchenko.  Rhodes was Rabchenko’s biggest test to date and many had it down as a 50/50 fight.  There was also controversy in the build up as the man who promotes Rhodes; Ricky Hatton, would also be training his opponent on the night Rabchenko.

The fight got off to a good start with both fighters landing some big shots, but it really came to life in the 3rd when Rhodes rocked Rabchenko with a right hand that staggered him across the ring. Rabchenko recovered well though and landed a couple of big shots of his own before the bell for the end of the round.

Rhodes seemed to be doing enough to keep his nose in front on the cards until in the 7th round Rabchenko landed a crunching shot to the body that put Rhodes on to the canvas,  He regained his feet on 9 but the ref waved the fight off as he hadn’t beaten the mandatory 8 count required in European rules, and handed Rabchenko the EBU title and his biggest victory to date.

The main event of the evening ended up as a huge disappointment for all involved.  Quigg seemed to start off slow as opposed to Munroe who sprinted out of the blocks.  Almost as soon as the fight had started though, it was over.  An accidental clash of heads in the 3rd round opened up a huge gash above Munroe’s right eye that immediately started pouring  blood.  The ring doctor had no choice but to declare Munroe unfit to continue and referee Howard Foster waved the fight off,  both fighters having to settle for a technical draw.

A rematch is a definite but when that will happen is anybody’s guess,  The cut required 9 stitches which will put Munroe out of action for around 8-10 weeks!


{loadposition SQUARE3}