Home Boxing News Victorious Butler Champing At The Bit For Title Shot

Victorious Butler Champing At The Bit For Title Shot

Aintree has been the home of many thoroughbreds, but none will have looked as comfortable in the parade ring as Paul Butler in the boxing ring last night. In his first fight at bantamweight, the Ellesmere Port boxer looked every inch the world class fighter as he stopped a game, but outclassed, Oreste Bernabe Nieva of Argentina. The Ellesmere Port fighter, who is zoning in on a fight with IBF champion Stuart Hall, impressed the crowd at the Aintree Equestrian Centre with a virtuoso performance to claim the vacant WBA International title.

The move up to bantamweight seemed to show no ill-effects for the 25 year old and he showed the full range of his abilities as he switched from head to body, which at times left the Argentinean looking puzzled. Butler was throwing his punches with spite, working behind the left jab the Ellesmere Port native looked in control and displayed impressive footwork to set up his shots. Utilising his left hook to the body, followed by a left hook to the head, Butler was landing at will against the Argentinean, who looked like he could take the head shots all night but was less comfortable with body shots. A left hook to the body in round two had Nieva backtracking across the ring. Butler could have finished the fight in round three as he continued to hurt and dominate the Argentinean but somehow Nieva survived. However it was only delaying the inevitable as the Ellesmere Port man was in the ascendancy.

In the fourth the Argentinean began to come forward a bit more, trying to throw some shots, but as he tried to trap Butler on the ropes, the Ellesmere Port fighter tapped three left hooks to the head before throwing a vicious left hook behind his elbow that crunched into the liver.

After the fight Butler told Boxnation, “I proved I was strong enough at bantam, people have been asking questions after my last two fights. I showed I looked strong at bantam. I felt like I was punching harder at this weight. I can make both weights comfortably. I feel better at bantamweight but if there are any opportunities for me I’ll step back down”

British and Commonwealth flyweight champion Kevin Satchell defended his Commonwealth crown against teak-tough Ghanaian, Isaac Quaye. The champion found it difficult to pin down the man from Accra, but he stuck to his task and did what was required to secure the win. All three judges scored widely in favour of the champion, with scores of 120-109, 119-110 and 120-108.

On the undercard, 2012 Olympic captain Tom Stalker defeated Birmingham’s Calum Cooper over eight rounds, in an entertaining bout. The fighter from the Everton Red Triangle gym looked relaxed as he let his shots go in the early rounds, but by the third was being drawn into a scrap with the 25 year old from Birmingham. Stalker was caught all too easily at times by Cooper, and trainer Paul Stevenson will be mindful of that as the likeable Scouser moves up in class.

In an intriguing crossroads match, Liverpool bantamweight Ryan Farrag scored a career best victory over former British champion Jason Booth, via fourth round stoppage. Farrag used his height and reach to keep Booth at the end of his jab and could not fail to land the overhand right. It was just such a shot that floored the Nottingham fighter toward the end of round one.  Booth was struggling to overcome the difference in reach and was being caught continually by his opponent, but in the fourth round Booth began to find Farrag and was forcing him back. Suddenly, the Liverpool fighter was looking tired and a little ragged. Then from nowhere, another huge overhand right floored the Nottingham man. Though he bravely tried to rise, he fell back into the ropes and referee Mark Lyson waved the fight off.

Many a punter has left this hallowed racecourse feeling robbed, but none can have more complaints than Edinburgh’s John Thain last night. The 26 year old outboxed Ronnie Heffron of Oldham but found himself on the wrong end of a poor decision from referee Jeff Hinds, which left most at ringside puzzled. Thain used his jab brilliantly throughout the fight and utilised superior movement to seemingly take the victory. Heffron was docked a point in round eight, which only seemed to further compound his defeat. The Oldham fighter admitted post-fight that he didn’t think he’d done enough to win the fight and was willing to give his opponent a rematch.

Also on the undercard was a victory for Steven Lewis, who outpointed tough William Warburton over four rounds. Stablemate Jazza Dickens outpointed Krzysztof Rogowski of Poland over six rounds, in a wild scrap that saw Dickens get his nose broken by a clash of heads in round six. Manchester’s Terry Flanagan outpointed tough Hungarian Georgy Mizsei Jr over eight rounds, in a performance which saw his fans clamouring for a rematch with Derry Mathews. Ellesmere Port’s Matty Fagan scored a six round shutout over a game Yordan Vasilev.