TwitterFacebook

Arash Usmanee: Time for Barthelemy to Do the Right Thing and Face Me Again!

Afghani-Canadian super featherweight contender Arash Usmanee wishes to congratulate new IBF Super Featherweight Champion Rances “Kid Blast” Barthelemy for his title-winning decision over Argenis Mendez last Thursday (July 10) in Miami.

“Barthelemy looked good taking it to Mendez and he deserves the belt,” said Usmanee.

But now that the dust has settled on the Barthelemy/Mendez rivalry, Usmanee (21-2-1, 10 KOs) says the new champion has only one thing he can do to prove he deserves his spot on top.

See Also

“Barthelemy himself knows he didn’t beat me when we fought. If that fight was anywhere but his backyard, he would have never even gotten the chance to fight for the title. If he’s a true champion, he will face me in his first defense and try to erase what everyone but the three judges saw as a loss for him.”

Usmanee and Barthelemy faced off in January of last year in the Cuban Barthelemy’s adopted hometown of Miami and, after 12 rounds, the nearly unanimous consensus was that Usmanee had come on in the second half of the fight to dominate and deserved a clear decision. Unfortunately, the three judges saw it another way and awarded Barthelemy the unanimous verdict. The fight was an IBF title eliminator for the #2 spot in their rankings.

“If our fight was held anywhere but his backyard, he would have never gotten the chance to win the belt,” continued Usmanee. “If he wants to be a true world champion, then he can’t pretend that didn’t happen. A true champion would want to try to erase that blemish on his record immediately and I hope that’s what he chooses to do in his first defense.”

Usmanee’s promoter, Greg Cohen of Greg Cohen Promotions, says he is waiting to hear from Barthelemy’s promotional team.

“They know how lucky their guy got in Florida against my guy. And I know they’re all honorable people, so I expect they’ll take a little time to enjoy the belt and then we can all get to work on establishing the true champion of the IBF at super featherweight. My guy isn’t just going to go away. They need to make this fight to establish their own legitimacy as champion.”

In August of last year, Usmanee, established his performance against Barthelemy was no fluke by fighting to a draw with then-champion Mendez in his only world-title try.

In April of this year, Usmanee took an over-the-weight and short-notice fight (less than one week) against a much bigger Rey Beltran and lost a decision after a valiant effort as the co-feature on the Pacquiao vs. Bradley II undercard. Since then, Usmanee won a decision June 13 over the durable Juan Ruiz and is laser focused on securing the much-deserved rematch with Barthelemy. 

Cohen stated, “Usmanee vs. Barthelemy II is a fight that must be made to establish who the true king is at 130 lbs in the IBF. I’m eagerly awaiting hearing from Barthelemy’s people to start negotiations.”

Read more articles about:
red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Chris Eubank Jr ready for Canelo Alvarez in September

Chris Eubank Jr ready for Canelo Alvarez in September

Chris Eubank Jr 29-2 (22) has demanded a shot at world middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 53-1-2 (36). The 30-year-old Brit has strung together three wins since losing a 12-round points decision to George Groves two years ago, including v…

Mike Tyson calls for Deontay Wilder to "grow up"

Mike Tyson calls for Deontay Wilder to

Mike Tyson wants to see former WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder 42-1-1 (41) become more dedicated to boxing ahead of his third fight with conqueror Tyson Fury 30-0-1 (21). The due have fought twice already with the first bout ending in a co…

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Bantamweight contender Jason ‘Mayhem’ Moloney 21-1 (18) could be in line for a shot at WBO champion John Riel Casimero 29-4 (20) according to broadcaster Ben Damon. Moloney scored a dominant seventh-round stoppage of rugged Mexican Leonardo Baez i…

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Super flyweight Andrew ‘The Barber’ Moloney 21-1 (14) will get the chance to reclaim his WBA ‘regular’ title when he faces off against conqueror Joshua Franco 17-1-2 (8) later this year. The 29-year-old Australian suffered his first career loss to…

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Heavyweight contender Michael ‘The Bounty’ Hunter 18-1-1 (12) has split from Matchroom Boxing but still expects to be back in the ring in September. The 31-year-old American has gone 6-0-1 since moving up to heavyweight with the draw coming agains…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard on all-time welterweight list

Floyd Mayweather has hit back after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard in a list of all-time great welterweights. The 43-year-old American won his first world championship at super featherweight and worked his way up the weights before finally …

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US