Home Boxing News Holt Follows In Father’s Footsteps

Holt Follows In Father’s Footsteps

Paul Holt followed in his father’s footsteps and secured the Midlands Area Super Featherweight title with an explosive stoppage of Louis Fielding on Saturday evening.

The title clash was top of the bill on Black Country Boxing’s ‘High Stakes’ show, sponsored by Grosvenor Casino Walsall, at Walsall Town Hall on Saturday evening.

Brummie Holt needed just over half the scheduled rounds to end the fight prematurely as Tamworth’s Fielding was put on the canvas and referee, Shaun Messer, decided to call it off in the sixth.

Holt gave Fielding a taster of what was to come in the first round with a solid left hook to the body which left the Tamworth fighter covering up.  Fielding had the reach advantage but he didn’t use it as he failed to throw any meaningful jabs which allowed the Birmingham boxer to come forward and get at him.

With three rounds down Holt was doing the smarter work. He caught Fielding with a powerful overhead left. Fielding’s replies were clumsy swinging hooks which missed their target. Holt enjoyed a massive fifth round which was to be the beginning of the end. He came inside with stinging shots to the body before going upstairs and landing flush with combinations.

In the sixth a right hook to the body from Holt was followed by one to the head which rocked his opponent. The Southpaw pounced with a flurry of punches in the corner to send Fielding to the floor. ‘Flash’ recovered and got back to his feet but more punishment from Holt opened up Fielding’s nose which was poured blood. ‘The Incredible Holt’ went for the kill and moments later under a flurry of uppercuts and power punches Fielding was sent down again for the final time. The referee stopped the contest with Fielding on the floor and unable to defend himself.

Manny Zaber moved one step closer to a bout with rival Les Byfield as he got the better of veteran Kristian Laight with a 40-36 points decision. ‘Pac Man’ struggled to break down Laight who was competing in his 249th professional fight. ‘Mr Reliable’ slipped well and reduced Zaber to mostly scuffing punches but Laight didn’t throw enough back to have a say in a one sided contest for Zaber.

Similarly Josh Burke failed to breakthrough Rolandas Cesna’s solid defence as he laboured to a points victory over the Lithuanian. Most of the 30-year-old’s shots were blocked but Wolverhampton’s Burke received little back as he did just enough to get the win.

Tommy Loach got the perfect start to his career, if not the perfect performance, with a debut win in front of a raucous crowd in the opening bout of the night. The West Bromwich welterweight defeated Iranian born Ali Wyatt on points but he will be hoping to improve on his head movement in the future.

Luke Heron (Walker) cruised to a fourth successive win of his promising career with the performance of the night. The 23-year-old was too fast for Stoke’s Mark Till as he landed silky three punch combinations to the head and body. The Birmingham boxer was equally competent in defence as he ducked and dodged and span off the ropes to counter and punish his opponent.

Newark’s Chad Sugden also impressed as he recorded the first knockout victory of his career when he brushed aside Kieron Gray. ‘2 Slick’ launched a vicious attack to the body in the third round which put Gray on his knee on the canvas. The Telford pugilist failed to return to his feet which gave the 22-year-old his fourth professional win.

By James Eley