TwitterFacebook

When A Fighter Said “No More”: 5 Astonishing Times

Lee Daley

Lee has been a fan of the sport of boxing for around twenty five years.

KO Boxing Forum

Nicholas Walters has caused controversy when he quit after the seventh round in his highly anticipated fight with Vasyl Lomachenko on Saturday night. He didn’t look to be in any kind of definite trouble although it was looking like the Ukrainian was in control of the bout.

Thankfully, controversial corner retirements although general controversial retirements are much more common. This article is going to look at 5 of the most shocking and unexpected ring retirements in boxing history!

1. Sonny Liston vs Cassius Clay

See Also

clay-liston-2

Not yet known as the world famous ‘Muhammad Ali’, Clay’s blood pressure was recorded to be so high at the weigh-in that he was almost universally thought to be petrified of the reigning champion Sonny Liston. During the fight, however, Clay controlled Liston mainly with his dazzling footwork and blistering jab while managing to move out of the way of the champion’s more powerful shots with his upper body movement. Clay was odds against winning the heavyweight crown but Liston called it a day after the 6th round citing a shoulder injury.

More controversy reared its head in the rematch when Liston was stopped in the first round, although it is widely agreed that nothing of note had landed by Ali. You can decide on that one.

2. Don Curry vs Lloyd Honeyghan

lloyd-honeyghan-vs-donald-curry-444

You would be forgiven if you thought that the number 6 had any degree of notorious significance in boxing because Don Curry, then pound for pound number 1 welterweight boxer during the 1980’s, would be halted after the sixth against British challenger Lloyd Honeyghan.

Despite the majority opinion predicting that Honeyghan would virtually have no chance, Curry retired at the end of the sixth after developing a cut over his eye and struggled with his opponent’s smooth running style, effectively giving up his world crown.

3. Roberto Duran v Sugar Ray Leonard II

no-mas

Is Duran’s decision to quit against Leonard in their 1980 rematch the most famous ring evacuation in history? It wouldn’t be out of the question!

After upsetting glamorous media darling Leonard 5 months earlier on points, Duran would go on to confess that he celebrated his win just a little too much in order to be fully prepared for their second meeting after eating and drinking with family and friends and could not get in peak shape. The result was a verbal abandonment in the eighth round when he told the referee he no longer wanted to continue.

Quick trivia: It is a myth that Roberto Duran uttered those now famous words “no mas” to Octavio Meyran, instead stating “No sigo” which translates to “I’m not going any further.”‘

4. Victor Ortiz v Marcos Maidana

ortiz-maidana

Victor Ortiz racked up 25 wins in 26 fights up until he faced the hard hitting Marcos Maidana from Argentina. It is a little puzzling as to why Golden Boy Promotions would throw their supposedly future star in with such a dangerous opponent the way they did, but if there is one thing that it told was that it gave audiences some insight into how much Ortiz desired a win when the going went tough.

Ortiz started off well, knocking down Maidana in the first and second rounds although he hit the deck himself in the first and sixth. After the second knockdown, to the shock of many, Ortiz waved his gloved hand at the referee and said that he wanted no more. Ortiz would go on to partially redeem himself when he rested the WBC crown from Andre Berto but raised doubts again in his bouts with the likes of Floyd Mayweather and Andre Berto in their rematch.

5. Mike Tyson vs Andrew Golota

20 Oct 2000: Andrew Golota fights with his corner prior to the third round of his Heavyweight fight against Mike Tyson at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan. Tyson won by TKO in the third round after Golota refused to answer the bell. DIGITAL IMAGE. Mandatory Credit: M David Leeds/ALLSPORT

Polish Andrew Golota may have lost some of that fearsome reputation that he gained after giving Riddick Bowe two tough bruising fights, but his fight with Mike Tyson was predicted to be a situation where fireworks were bound to spark at any given point!

But Golota would go on to tell the 3rd man in the ring that he wanted no more when he quit after the 3rd round. It was later found out that Golota had multiple fractures, so perhaps this was a case where a fighter made a jutifiable decision. As a sidenote, the bout would go on to be declared as a No Contest after it was discovered that Tyson had marijuana in his system.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Dereck Chisora promises to give Oleksandr Usyk "the fright of…

Dereck Chisora promises to give Oleksandr Usyk

Heavyweight gatekeeper Dereck Chisora 32-9 (23) has promised to give Oleksandr Usyk 17-0 (13) “the fight of his life” when they meet at The SSE Arena in Wembley, London on October 31. Ukrainian southpaw Usyk, 33, will be having just his second fig…

Billy Joe Saunders set to defend WBO belt against Martin…

Billy Joe Saunders set to defend WBO belt against Martin Murray in Wembley on Dec 4

WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders 29-0 (14) will make the second defence of his title against former world title challenger Martin Murray 39-5-1 (17) at The SSE Arena in Wembley, London on December 4. The 31-year-old Hatfield sout…

Juan Francisco Estrada refuses to overlook Carlos Cuadras with Chocolatito…

Juan Francisco Estrada refuses to overlook Carlos Cuadras with Chocolatito Gonzalez fight waiting

WBC super flyweight champion Juan Francisco ‘El Gallo’ Estrada 40-3 (27) insists he is not overlooking Carlos Cuadras 39-3-1 (27) ahead of their rematch at TV Azteca Studios in Mexico City, Mexico tonight. The 30-year-old Mexican fought Cuadras in…

Regis Prograis ready for ring return against Juan Heraldez in…

Regis Prograis ready for ring return against Juan Heraldez in Houston on Oct 31

Former WBA junior welterweight champion Regis ‘Rougarou’ Prograis 24-1 (20) will be returning to action for the first time in a year when he takes on Juan Heraldez 16-0-1 (10) over 10 rounds at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on October 31. Th…

Sergey Lipinets unfazed by late change of opponent, ready for…

Sergey Lipinets unfazed by late change of opponent, ready for Custio Clayton

Former IBF junior welterweight champion Sergey Lipinets 16-1 (12) says a late change in opponent won’t make any difference to him when he faces undefeated Canadian Custio Clayton 18-0 (12) for the interim IBF welterweight title at the Mohegan Sun Cas…

Eddie Hearn claims Deontay Wilder has bottled it after Tyson…

Eddie Hearn claims Deontay Wilder has bottled it after Tyson Fury fight cancelled

Eddie Hearn has claimed Deontay Wilder 42-1-1 (41) either doesn’t want a third fight with Tyson Fury 30-0-1 (21) or his team is simply inept at contract negotiations. The 32-year-old Fury claimed the WBC heavyweight title with a dominant seventh-r…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US