TwitterFacebook

Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan joins the Gennady Golovkin sweepstakes

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

With the much anticipated May 5 rematch between Gennady Golovkin 37-0-1 (33) and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez 49-1-2 (34) on the rocks after the Mexican superstar’s positive drug test, boxers the world over are queuing up for the opportunity to challenge the undisputed middleweight wrecking machine.

One of the recent additions to the list of potential challengers is York, Ireland’s Garry “Spike” O’Sullivan 27-2 (19).

“I’ve spent the last three years staying ready so that I don’t have to get ready,” the 33-year-old posted on Twitter yesterday.

See Also

“Make this fight happen.”

Last week the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) provisional suspended Alvarez until their investigation is completed in full. The 27-year-old, who failed two tests for clenbuterol in February, will find out his fate at an NSAC meeting on April 10.

The WBO #5, WBA #10 and WBC #12 has won five bouts on the go since getting stopped in seven by Chris Eubank Jr in December 2015. In his last bout O’Sullivan claimed the NABA and WBO Intercontinental middleweight title with a seventh round knockout of once-beaten Antoine Douglas in Quebec, Canada on the undercard of Billy Joe Saunders’ WBO title defence against David Lemieux last December. Saunders is the only other boxer to hold a win over O’Sullivan.

O’Sullivan has long sought a fight with the undefeated 35-year-old Kazakh. Almost three years ago he discussed the match-up with Irish-Boxing.com.

“I’d like to get in with Gennady Golovkin, that’s who I’d like to fight,” he said.

“He’d be the one I want next. He’s the WBA champion and I’m in this game to prove I’m the best and he’s the guy who’s currently the best and the guy I’d like to fight next.”

In September last year Golovkin and Alvarez battled it out to a 12-round draw in a fight that many punters felt deserved to go the way of the long-reigning middleweight champion who claimed his first world title in 2010.

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Manny Pacquiao had the superior career to Floyd Mayweather Jr,…

Manny Pacquiao had the superior career to Floyd Mayweather Jr, says Buddy McGirt

Buddy McGirt has joined Bernard Hopkins in saying he would prefer to have the legacy of Manny Pacquiao over Floyd Mayweather Jr despite the undefeated American defeating the Filipino superstar on points in Las Vegas five years ago. Leading trainer…

Jamel Herring title defence cancelled after testing positive to COVID-19…

Jamel Herring title defence cancelled after testing positive to COVID-19 for a second time

WBO super featherweight champion Jamel ‘Semper Fi’ Herring 21-2 (10) will no longer make the second defence of his title against Jonathan ‘Polvo’ Oquendo 31-6 (19) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada after testing positive for COVID-19 for the seco…

Alexander Povetkin says there’s more to winning a fight than…

Alexander Povetkin says there’s more to winning a fight than just a left hook

Russian veteran Alexander Povetkin 35-2-1 (24) has warned Dillian Whyte 27-1 (18) it will take more than a left hook to beat him. The heavyweight pair are scheduled to meet at the Matchroom Fight Camp in Brentwood, Essex in the UK on August 22. …

Jeff Horn vs Tim Tszyu back on for August 26…

Jeff Horn vs Tim Tszyu back on for August 26 in Townsville

The fight between former WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn 20-2-1 (13) and Tim Tszyu 15-0 (11) is back on for August 26 at Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville, Australia after previously being postponed due to the global coronavirus pande…

Keith Thurman reflects on loss to Manny Pacquiao one year…

Keith Thurman reflects on loss to Manny Pacquiao one year on

Former WBA welterweight champion Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman 29-1 (22) has reflected on his first career loss to Manny Pacquiao 62-7-2 (39) one year on after their clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The 31-year-old from Clearwater, Florida,…

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennadiy Golovkin III being targeted for Cinco…

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennadiy Golovkin III being targeted for Cinco de Mayo

World middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 53-1-2 (36) is willing to entertain the idea of a third fight against old rival Gennadiy Golovkin 40-1-1 (35), according to Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez. Initial discussions have begu…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US