TwitterFacebook

Mikey Garcia to stay at lightweight, according to WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman says that undefeated multi-weight world champion Mikey Garcia 38-0 (30) of the USA will return to the 135-pound weight class to defend his WBC world lightweight title.

The 30-year-old Californian is coming off a twelve round unanimous decision win over Sergey Lipinets 13-1 (10) of Russia for the IBF junior welterweight world title last month at the Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio, Texas.

Garcia, who is the younger brother of renowned trainer and former glovesman Roberto Garcia, began his career as a featherweight and won his first world title against Orlando Salido of Mexico for the WBO 126-pound title in January 2013.

See Also

Since then he was won the WBO super featherweight title against Roman Martinez, the WBC lightweight title against Dejan Zlaticanin and the IBF junior welterweight title against Lipinets.

Despite winning world titles in four different weight classes, Garcia has only made a single world title defence. This was due in part to a managerial dispute that kept him on the sidelines for two-and-a-half years, from the beginning on 2014 through to mid-2016.

Garcia has recently been linked to fights against veteran champion Jorge Linares 44-3 (27) of Venezuela and consensus pound-for-pound top three Vasyl Lomachenko 10-1 (8) of the Ukraine, who will meet each other for Linares’ WBA lightweight title at Madison Square Garden in New York on May 12.

“Mikey Garcia stays at lightweight, will defend the WBNC title and when there is something firm we will announce them,” Sulaiman told ESPN Deportes according to BoxingNews24.

The 32-year-old Linares, who remarkably won his first world title over a decade ago, holds something called the WBC “Diamond” championship. It is widely believed that the Mexican-based sanctioning body will be pushing for a match-up between Garcia and Linares.

Garcia is The Ring magazine’s number five ranked boxer pound-for-pound.

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Bantamweight contender Jason ‘Mayhem’ Moloney 21-1 (18) could be in line for a shot at WBO champion John Riel Casimero 29-4 (20) according to broadcaster Ben Damon. Moloney scored a dominant seventh-round stoppage of rugged Mexican Leonardo Baez i…

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Super flyweight Andrew ‘The Barber’ Moloney 21-1 (14) will get the chance to reclaim his WBA ‘regular’ title when he faces off against conqueror Joshua Franco 17-1-2 (8) later this year. The 29-year-old Australian suffered his first career loss to…

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Heavyweight contender Michael ‘The Bounty’ Hunter 18-1-1 (12) has split from Matchroom Boxing but still expects to be back in the ring in September. The 31-year-old American has gone 6-0-1 since moving up to heavyweight with the draw coming agains…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard on all-time welterweight list

Floyd Mayweather has hit back after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard in a list of all-time great welterweights. The 43-year-old American won his first world championship at super featherweight and worked his way up the weights before finally …

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

WBC, WBA and WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) is set to face IBF counterpart Teofimo Lopez 15-0 (12) in an exciting four-belt unification bout on September 19, according to promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank. Lomachenko was initial…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug test

Disgraced heavyweight Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller has denied knowingly taken a performance enhancing drug following his failed drug test last month. The test result put the kybosh on his planned ring return against Jerry Forrest in Las Vegas on July…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US