TwitterFacebook

Floyd Mayweather Jr reveals plans to fight in the UFC

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

Former pound-for-pound number one ranked boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr 50-0 (27) reaffirmed his retirement from boxing on the weekend but revealed that he may yet fight again – in the Octagon.

Mayweather was interviewed by Jim Gray on the Showtime Championship Boxing telecast of the junior middleweight unification bout between Erislandy Lara 25-3-2 (14) and Jarrett Hurd 22-0 (15) at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday night.

“Retirement has been great but as you know and everyone knows, I go in retirement and I come back,” said Mayweather. “It is possible I do come back, but if I do come back, it has to be in the Octagon.”

See Also

Not everyone on Team Mayweather is behind his move to mixed martial arts.

“I spoke with my team, I spoke with Al Haymon. Al Haymon says no. I spoke with SHOWTIME, I spoke with CBS. If I do come back, SHOWTIME and CBS has to be involved,” Mayweather said.

If Mayweather does fight in the Octagon, it will be at the UFC weight class of featherweight – which is two-pounds lighter than boxing’s welterweight division, where the 41-year-old Grand Rapids, Michigan native competed for the last decade of his pro boxing career.

“When I do go to the Octagon I look forward to going to 145 (pounds),” said Mayweather.

The five-division boxing champion insists that he will compete in MMA, providing the money is right.

“You got to talk to SHOWTIME, CBS. The money is going to be crazy. I can do whatever I want to do. I’m Floyd Mayweather,” he said.

Mayweather couldn’t resist having a dig at his old nemesis Conor McGregor, who he defeated by tenth round TKO last August in the most lucrative boxing match in history, after the former two-division UFC champion went on a rampage at Barclays Center in New York last week throwing objects at a bus containing other UFC athletes.

“I feel that when you have reached such high status you have to carry yourself in a classy way. Outside the ring you have to carry yourself as a gentleman,” said Mayweather, who has had his own run-ins with the law throughout his storied career.

In another interesting piece of news, Mayweather revealed that he wants his boxer Gervonta “Tank” Davis 19-0 (18) to face consensus pound-for-pound top three Vasly Lomachenko 10-1 (8) later this year. Davis is scheduled to face Jesus Cuellar on April 24 while Lomachaneko is matched with Jorge Linares on May 12.

“I already spoke to Top Rank. If Gervonta Davis wins on April 21 he’s going to fight (Vasyl) Lomachenko. We’re going to make that fight,” he said.

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Skavydis.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US