TwitterFacebook

Lou DiBella makes his case for Sergiy Derevyanchenko to face Gennady Golovkin

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

After Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s withdrawal last week from his Cinco De Mayo clash with WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin 37-0-1 (33) most people were expecting the path to be cleared for Ireland’s Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan 27-2 (19) to step into the void and face the Kazakh gunslinger on the same May 5 date.

But promoter Lou DiBella, who looks after Brooklyn-based Russian Sergiy “The Technician” Derevyanchenko, 12-0 (10), is making a case for his IBF mandatory challenger to be the other man in the ring for Golovkin’s next fight.

Speaking to Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times on Monday, the New York-based promoter said that a late withdrawal “is not supposed to stop a mandatory from happening.”

See Also

“I don’t understand saying that extenuating circumstances allow something different. Is the extenuating case that he doesn’t want to take a risk? That’s what it seems like to me,” said DiBella.

A powwow is scheduled for Tuesday morning to determine who will be an acceptable opponent for Golovkin’s next fight. The meeting will be attended by the heads of the three sanctioning bodies involved in the decision-making process: the WBC’s Mauricio Sulaiman, WBA head honcho Gilberto Mendoza and IBF president Daryl Peoples.

The WBA have Alvarez 49-1-2 (34) listed as their leading challenger to Golovkin’s title, while the WBC have Jermall Charlo in the number one contender position.

Sulaiman says that although Charlo is their mandatory challenger, now is not the time to be enforcing the mandatory.

“How can you penalize Golovkin when the fight has to happen within a month?” asked Sulaiman in the L.A. Times. “You have to support your champion. It’d be so unfair to penalize him now when, for reasons out of his control, his fight [with Alvarez] is off.”

DiBella believes his 32-year-old prospect is the perfect substitute for Alvarez.

“What is wrong with another conventional, right-handed fighter who comes forward?” asked DiBella. “How can he not be prepared for Sergiy Derevyanchenko? And our guy is in the gym and ready to fight. So I don’t understand the argument against him.

“When a guy is sitting in a mandatory spot, he’s not getting paid until he gets that [title] fight. And if Golovkin faces Canelo next, this decision could affect [Derevyanchenko] for 18 months.”

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Kell Brook tipped to take on Terence Crawford on November…

Kell Brook tipped to take on Terence Crawford on November 14

Former IBF welterweight champion Kell ‘Special K’ Brook 39-2 (27) looks to be in the box seat to challenge WBO 147-pound champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 36-0 (27) in November. The 34-year-old from Sheffield, Yorkshire lost his IBF strap to Errol S…

Jaron 'Boots' Ennis gunning for his 16th straight knockout on…

Jaron 'Boots' Ennis gunning for his 16th straight knockout on Saturday night

Fast-rising welterweight contender Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis 25-0 (23) won’t se satisfied with anything less than a knockout when he faces Juan Carlos Abreu 23-5-1 (21) in a scheduled 10-round bout at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville Connecticut on Sat…

Tugstsogt Nyambayar promises knockout, Cobia Breedy says that won't be…

Tugstsogt Nyambayar promises knockout, Cobia Breedy says that won't be happening

Featherweight contender Tugstsogt ‘King Tug’ Nyambayar 11-1 (9) has vowed not no make the same mistakes against Cobia ‘Soldier’ Breedy 15-0 (5) as he did against WBC 126-pound champion Gary Russell Jr 31-1 (18). The 28-year-old Mongolian, who figh…

Terrell Gausha ready to claim world title shot with victory…

Terrell Gausha ready to claim world title shot with victory over Erickson Lubin

Junior middleweight Terrell Gausha 21-1-1 (10) says he is in the best shape of his life ahead of his WBC world title eliminator against Erickson ‘The Hammer’ Lubin 22-1 (16) at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday night. T…

Erickson Lubin vows to knockout Terrell Gausha, land another title…

Erickson Lubin vows to knockout Terrell Gausha, land another title shot

Junior middleweight contender Erickson ‘The Hammer’ Lubin 22-1 (16) has promised to go for the knockout when he meets Terrell Gausha 21-1-1 (10) at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday night. “I had a tremendous training c…

Chris Eubank Jr calls out all the champions at middleweight

Chris Eubank Jr calls out all the champions at middleweight

WBA number one middleweight contender Chris Eubank Jr 29-2 (22) is demanding a shot at any of the world titleholders at 160-pounds. These include WBC champion Jermall Charlo, who is set to defend his belt against former world title challenger Serg…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US