TwitterFacebook

Amir Khan admits he took Canelo Alvarez fight out of desperation

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

Amir Khan 31-4 (19) has admitted that he took the fight against Canelo Alvarez two years ago out of desperation after big-ticket fights with Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao failed to materialise.

Speaking on the Sky Sports documentary Amir Khan: Off Limits, he said: “There’s fights I’ve wanted, like for example the Floyd Mayweather fight – that was talked about for years and years, and didn’t happen. The Manny Pacquiao fight, which was talked about and didn’t happen, so you do kind of fall out of love [with boxing].

“The reason I took the ‘Canelo’ fight is because I got quite desperate.

See Also

“I really wanted a big super fight and I wanted my name up on the Vegas strip. It’s always been my dream.

“The Mayweather fight got so close many times, which never seemed to happen.”

The fight against Alvarez 49-1-2 (34) ended badly for the 31-year-old Bolton boxer, who was knocked unconscious is the sixth round by a right hand bomb that detonated on his jaw. Still, Khan is pragmatic about the fight.

“I’ve been knocked out before and I’ve come back from it, winning world titles,” said Khan. “The mistake I made in there was my own fault. I dropped my left hand and I got caught over the top with Canelo’s right hand.

“I would rather be knocked out with one big shot instead of taking numerous punches and getting stopped that way, so I’m glad it was just that one shot.

“Should I have taken that fight? Maybe not. It was a massive opportunity for me. I don’t regret it, no.

“If I never took that fight I would have always thought ‘what would have happened?’ He beat me that night. He was the better fighter that night.

“My hand was always bad. I was quite scared to get it operated on.

“After the Canelo fight, is when I decided to get it fixed properly. It took me a little bit longer to recover from the hand op than it should have. At one stage I did think that maybe this is it.”

Last year Khan made a play to get Pacquiao in the ring that fell apart when the multi-million dollar backing from the Middle Eastern investor turned out to be nothing more than a desert mirage.

Khan will face Canadian welterweight Phil Lo Greco 28-3 (15) this Saturday at Echo Arena in Liverpool, England.

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Super flyweight Andrew ‘The Barber’ Moloney 21-1 (14) will get the chance to reclaim his WBA ‘regular’ title when he faces off against conqueror Joshua Franco 17-1-2 (8) later this year. The 29-year-old Australian suffered his first career loss to…

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Heavyweight contender Michael ‘The Bounty’ Hunter 18-1-1 (12) has split from Matchroom Boxing but still expects to be back in the ring in September. The 31-year-old American has gone 6-0-1 since moving up to heavyweight with the draw coming agains…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard on all-time welterweight list

Floyd Mayweather has hit back after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard in a list of all-time great welterweights. The 43-year-old American won his first world championship at super featherweight and worked his way up the weights before finally …

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

WBC, WBA and WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) is set to face IBF counterpart Teofimo Lopez 15-0 (12) in an exciting four-belt unification bout on September 19, according to promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank. Lomachenko was initial…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug test

Disgraced heavyweight Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller has denied knowingly taken a performance enhancing drug following his failed drug test last month. The test result put the kybosh on his planned ring return against Jerry Forrest in Las Vegas on July…

Jermall Charlo wants Canelo Alvarez but will accept Sergiy Derevyanchenko…

Jermall Charlo wants Canelo Alvarez but will accept Sergiy Derevyanchenko fight

Undefeated WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo 30-0 (22) wants his chance to match his skills against consensus world middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 53-1-2 (36) but will settle for Sergiy Derevyanchenko 13-2 (10) if the fight cannot…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US