TwitterFacebook

A Lion in the UK? Jermall Charlo Says He’ll Travel to Face Billy Joe Saunders, unsure on Canelo vs. GGG II Winner

C Johnson

Chris lives in U.S.A. He loves attending shows and chatting to boxing stars and sharing his opinion. He likes to write about UK and USA boxing news and you can read various news story’s ranging from interviews to opinion pieces.

KO Boxing Forum

This past Saturday night produced another highlight reel knockout for interim WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo, as he stopped once-beaten Hugo Centeno Jr. In the 2nd round inside of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York and aired on SHOWTIME.

Charlo (27-0, 21 KO’s) has been on a great run lately in defeating a slew of prospects, contenders, and former champions, often times with punishing results for his opposition. But what is next for the 27-year old, Houston, Tex. native? Charlo is itching for a big fight and has been quite vocal, whether on social media or in person, about facing the big names in the sport.

Even WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders of the UK is of interest to Charlo.

See Also

“I’m cool with whoever,” Charlo said post-fight. “I’ll go to the UK, fight him. Look, long as I’m having fun and enjoying life they can’t say nothing about me, man.”

There are many scenarios going down and moving pieces at 160 pounds. The cancellation of the May 5 Gennady Golovkin vs. Saul Alvarez matchup shook up the sport, as Alvarez tested positive on two occasions for Clenbuterol prior to the fight. Alvarez received a six-month suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission while Golovkin moves on to face Vanes Martirosyan instead, in Carson, California.

Charlo appears to be just waiting things out.

“Aye, I’m not a matchmaker,” Charlo stated. “I’m not a promoter, manager, any of that. I’m an active fighter. And I fight for a living, that’s what I do. I’ll fight whoever. I’ll fight Canelo if that’s what they wanted me to do. I’m #1 in the world right now. I just moved up to middleweight, this my second fight at middleweight, I’m going for #3. Look, I’m ready…Nobody’s excluded from my hit list. I’ll reign at 160 until I can’t.

Charlo has always mentioned Canelo as a possibility and even said post-fight that he would love to face Golovkin too. But he doesn’t know how things will play out.

“I cannot promise you that I’ll get that fight, and I can’t promise that fight will be real, real soon, but, look, like I said, I’m #1 in the world right now so I’ll just watch the emails come in, I’ll watch the tweets, I’m pleased with my performance,” Charlo said.

Charlo could be seen recently getting into a back-and-forth with former WBA middleweight champion Danny Jacobs, and that too is a fight that the fans have expressed interest in. But for now, Charlo is just happy to score his latest triumph and move forward.

“I wanted to make a statement and I’m a man of my word,” said Charlo. “I want every belt at 160. My goal is to unify and put on a great performance for the fans and the people around the world that the Charlo brothers is not what they trying to make us out to be. We’re not the bad guys of the sport.”

Read more articles about: ,
red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Amir Khan predicts easy win for Tyson Fury against Anthony…

Amir Khan predicts easy win for Tyson Fury against Anthony Joshua

Amir Khan believes Tyson Fury would have an easy night against Anthony Joshua. Fury claimed the WBC heavyweight title with a dominant seventh-round stoppage of previously undefeated American power-puncher Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas last month. …

Anthony Yarde's father dies from coronavirus

Anthony Yarde's father dies from coronavirus

Light heavyweight contender Anthony Yarde 19-1 (18) has revealed his father has passed away from coronavirus. The 28-year-old Brit made the news public on his Instagram feed early on Sunday morning, adding his dad was fit and healthy. Yarde use…

Anthony Crolla shattered at loss of gym in fire

Anthony Crolla shattered at loss of gym in fire

Former WBA lightweight champion Anthony Crolla is gutted after his Greater Manchester gym was destroyed by a fire. The blaze started on Sunday morning at Morton Mill in Failsworth, destroying a number of other buildings. The 33-year-old Bit ret…

Floyd Mayweather reflects on the passing of Roger Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather reflects on the passing of Roger Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather has reflected on the recent passing of his uncle and former trainer Roger Mayweather at 58 earlier this month. Roger Mayweather was reportedly suffering from ill-health in recent years including diabetes. The former WBA super f…

Dillian Whyte claims Anthony Joshua never wanted a rematch

Dillian Whyte claims Anthony Joshua never wanted a rematch

Dillian Whyte believes Anthony Joshua was never serious about facing him in a rematch. The Brixton ‘Body Snatcher’ was in negotiations to face the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion last April, but said the short lead-up time compromised the fi…

Mike Tyson says Deontay Wilder has a chance to exact…

Mike Tyson says Deontay Wilder has a chance to exact revenge on Tyson Fury in third fight

Mike Tyson has refused to rule out Deontay Wilder getting his revenge on Tyson Fury when they clash for a third time in October. Fury claimed the WBC heavyweight championship with a dominant seventh-round stoppage of Wilder in Las Vegas last month…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US