TwitterFacebook

Team Wilder insist $50m offer to Anthony Joshua is more than a PR stunt

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder 40-0 (39) and his team have insisted that the $USD50 million offer they have made to Anthony Joshua 21-0 (20) for a unification fight is legit.

Matchroom Sport’s Eddie Hearn, who promotes Joshua, has said he hopes the proposed deal is more than just a PR stunt.

In a game of one-upmanship, Shelly Finkel, who co-manages Wilder, is threatening to cancel Friday’s scheduled meeting in New York if Joshua’s team doesn’t first agree to the deal in principal. He insists that they have security of the funds required to make the fight.

See Also

The $USD50 million offer is believed to be twice Joshua’s largest purse to date, which he made by defeating New Zealand’s Joseph Parker to add the WBO title to his WBA, IBF and IBO crowns last month.

The undefeated American power-puncher took to Instagram to speak directly to Joshua.

“Bro, there’s been a lot of misinterpretation so I want a bit of better communication for this situation now,” Wilder said. “I offered you $50million. It’s in the bag and you replied ‘let’s do it’. So, for public record, for a better understanding, so we understand what you’re saying, I gotta go back to elementary with this.

“Anthony Joshua, do you accept my offer? Yes or no. That’s all I need to know.”

The terms on the $USD50 million deal call for the fight to take place at a venue determined by Wilder’s camp, the fight must happen between September and December this year, and there is no rematch clause.

The offer comes in the wake of an offer from Team Joshua a few weeks ago that gave Wilder a flat fee of $USD12.5 million and no percentage of the profits, something that Wilder’s team felt was an insult considering the magnitude of the fight.

With lineal champion Tyson Fury 25-0 (18) – who is about to embark on his comeback after two-and-a-half years on the sidelines in June – still a year away from performing at the top level, Joshua-Wilder is clearly the best fight that can be made at heavyweight right now.

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

David Price reflects on Dereck Chisora loss, says he wants…

David Price reflects on Dereck Chisora loss, says he wants to fight again

British heavyweight David Price has reflected on his loss to Dereck Chisora and revealed he wants to go around again. The former British and Commonwealth champion was stopped in four rounds by Chisora last October. "About 11-12 days before the …

Tyson Fury reveals offer to fight Mike Tyson

Tyson Fury reveals offer to fight Mike Tyson

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury says he was offered the opportunity to fight Mike Tyson in an exhibition bout for charity. Fury, who was named after the youngest heavyweight champion in history, revealed he was approached by Tyson’s team to BT…

Manny Pacquiao looking to the Middle East for his next…

Manny Pacquiao looking to the Middle East for his next fight

WBA welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao 62-7-2 (39) remains in a holding pattern as he awaits news on the easing of travel restrictions that would see him allowed to travel to the US to fight. The global coronavirus pandemic has largely shut down…

TJ Doheny: “I need to prove that I’m the same…

TJ Doheny: “I need to prove that I’m the same fighter that I was”

Former IBF super bantamweight champion TJ Doheny 22-2 (16) is ready to bounce back from his shock loss to little-known Romanian Ionut Baluta 13-2 (2) in Dubai in March. The 33-year-old Australian-based Irishman dropped an eight-round decision to B…

Oleksandr Usyk tells Dereck Chisora he can't hit what he…

Oleksandr Usyk tells Dereck Chisora he can't hit what he can't see

Oleksandr Usyk has laughed off Dereck Chisora’s plan to attack him with relentless aggression, saying the British veteran won’t be able to find him in the ring. The 33-year-old Ukrainian southpaw will be having his second fight at heavyweight afte…

Tyson Fury warns knockout loss to Deontay Wilder could derail…

Tyson Fury warns knockout loss to Deontay Wilder could derail Anthony Joshua plans

Tyson Fury remains hopeful his third bout against Deontay Wilder will take place this year ahead of a proposed two-fight series against Anthony Joshua in 2021. Fury, 31, dominated his American rival in their rematch in February, stopping him in se…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US