TwitterFacebook

Billy “The Kid” Dib gunning for Sydney showdown with Tevin Farmer in July

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

Australian super featherweight Billy “The Kid” Dib 43-4 (24) is hoping that the IBF-mandated world title fight between himself and American southpaw Tevin Farmer 25-4-1 (5) takes place in his hometown of Sydney in late July.

The 32-year-old Dib, who held the IBF featherweight championship in 2011-12, became eligible for the title shot when Japan’s Kenichi Ogawa was stripped of the championship and suspended from boxing for six months after failing a doping test conducted last December – the same month Ogawa bested 27-year-old Farmer by split decision to win the vacant title.

“It’s definitely going to be in July – on either the 26th, 27th or 28th – and it’ll be here in Sydney hopefully,” Dib told Brendan Bradford of the Sporting News.

See Also

“We want to bring the best fights to Australia. I feel like I’m in the twilight of my career and I want to close out my career by giving Australia some amazing performances and something to remember me by.

“This is the biggest fight in Sydney over the last couple of years. We had Jeff Horn last year versus Manny Pacquiao (in Brisbane), but now I get my chance to do it in my home state.”

Dib knows that Farmer is a very tricky fighter with a strong defence and that he will need to be on the top of his game to get the win.

“Tevin Farmer’s a very elusive kind of guy. He’s a great mover, and he’s got quick hands, so it’s going to be a challenge,” he said.

The real question for Dib will be how the high-volume style taught to him by new trainer Jeff Fenech will hold up under pressure.

“I need Jeff because he’s a great motivator,” said Dib. “He definitely pushes you very hard and I honestly feel like I’m going to put in a great performance in late July.

“He’s worked on one aspect, and that’s my fitness and my punch output. I’ve had two fights under Jeff and in the first fight I had with him, I was throwing on average between 70 and 80 punches (per round). That’s not really my go. Usually I’m somebody who throws between 40 and 50, and he’s already taken that up by a great percentage.

“I’m hoping to be able to pick that up to 80 to 90 punches a round.”

Read more articles about: , , ,
red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Teofimo Lopez and Vasiliy Lomachenko negotiations reach an impasse

Teofimo Lopez and Vasiliy Lomachenko negotiations reach an impasse

Negotiations for the highly anticipated fight between Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) and Teofimo Lopez 15-0 (12) have reached an impasse that could see the October 3 card in Las Vegas scrapped. IBF champion Lopez has reportedly been offered $1.2 mil…

Anthony Joshua reveals he told Tyson Fury not to worry…

Anthony Joshua reveals he told Tyson Fury not to worry about Oleksandr Usyk in Marbella

Anthony Joshua has revealed what was discussed when he ran into Tyson Fury in Marbella, Spain recently. The heavyweight rivals ran into each other while on holidays with Fury stopping to chat with Joshua, who was taking a walk. WBA, IBF and WBO…

Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev being targeted for first weekend…

Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev being targeted for first weekend of December

Eddie Hearn is still holding out hope that the fight between unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua 23-1 (21) and Kubrat Pulev 28-1 (14) will take place in front of a live crowd. The WBA, IBF and WBO champion is due to make a mandatory defenc…

Callum Smith remains frontrunner to face Canelo Alvarez, says Eddie…

Callum Smith remains frontrunner to face Canelo Alvarez, says Eddie Hearn

WBA super middleweight champion Callum ‘Mundo’ Smith 27-0 (19) remains the leading contender to face Mexican superstar and world middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 53-1-2 (36) later this year, according to his promoter Eddie Hearn. But th…

Roy Jones Jr reveals fight plan ahead of Mike Tyson…

Roy Jones Jr reveals fight plan ahead of Mike Tyson bout

Roy Jones Jr says he will rely on his sharper boxing skills to pick apart Mike Tyson in the later rounds of their eight-round exhibition bout in Los Angeles on September 12. The 51-year-old is returning to the ring for the first time since Februar…

Ryan Garcia insists he is ready for the big league

Ryan Garcia insists he is ready for the big league

Undefeated lightweight contender Ryan ‘Kingry’ Garcia 20-0 (17) insists he is ready to step up to the big league despite being just 21 years old. The Los Angelan has been linked to a fight against former world title challenger Luke Campbell 20-3 (…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US