TwitterFacebook

Could We See Dillian Whyte vs. Luis Ortiz Next? More News From the Heavyweight Ranks

C Johnson

Chris lives in U.S.A. He loves attending shows and chatting to boxing stars and sharing his opinion. He likes to write about UK and USA boxing news and you can read various news story’s ranging from interviews to opinion pieces.

KO Boxing Forum

It’s still hard to get Dillian Whyte’s last performance out of my head.

Fighting on March 24 vs. Lucas Browne, Whyte scored an emphatic sixth-round knockout over previously unbeaten Lucas Browne inside of the O2 Arena in London. So shocking was the knockout, one that saw Browne laid out and knocked cold, that it served notice of what is next with Whyte (23-1, 17 KO’s).

With the win, Whyte picked up the WBC Silver Heavyweight title, prompting many to ponder if he will soon be facing off with WBC champion Deontay Wilder in his next bout. Wilder, of course, has been clamoring and clamoring for a huge showdown with IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, yet there are some hurdles to overcome before that one gets done.

See Also

Meanwhile, in a turn of events, it looks as though Whyte is no longer #1 in line to face off with Wilder, according to the WBC.

Whyte has now been ordered to fight Cuba’s Luis Ortiz to decide the “second mandatory”, while Dominic Breazeale has emerged as the preferred challenger for Wilder. Given Wilder’s previous grudge with Breazeale, it seems like a natural for that fight to happen.

Now if Whyte wants a crack at WBC gold, it looks like Whyte must find a way to get past Ortiz, who was last seen giving Wilder the fight of his life in March before being stopped in the 10th round.

Whyte was also ordered by the IBF to fight Kubrat Pulev to decide the mandatory challenger to the title held by Joshua. Whyte was stopped by Anthony in late 2015 and it would be a big rematch.

“It would secure me a place as mandatory challenger for the IBF, and it’s a fight that I want,” Whyte told Sky Sports recently. “I believe I can beat Pulev all day long. At the O2, it’s a big fight.”

But don’t completely count out Wilder vs. Joshua from happening just yet. It’s the dream fight to make in the division, and Wilder’s side reportedly even offered a flat $50 million fee to Joshua for the fight to happen. Such a fight would render all of the mandatories meaningless, for the moment.

“I’m going to look to meet up with them in New York, get face to face with them, look into the whites of their eyes, and just see if we can make a deal,” Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports last week. Hearn will be in New York this week promoting Danny Jacob’s return bout on April 28 inside of the Barclays Center.

As for Whyte? I guess he is just waiting in the wings for things to shake out, but it’s hard to disregard his recent tweet about his true ambitions for the next 12 months.
“I want to fight at least 2 of these guys over the next 12 months @BronzeBomber @anthonyfjoshua @Tyson_Fury @APovetkin @KubratPulev @joeboxerparker make it happen @EddieHearn @SkySportsBoxing #JustWantToFight #TEAMBODYSNATCHER”

There is no doubt that Whyte can fight, but would he have enough to get past Ortiz? Figures to be a dangerous fight, no matter where it’s held out. Let’s see what move Whyte decides to make.

Read more articles about: ,
red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Ricky Hatton advises Mike Tyson to call off comeback

Ricky Hatton advises Mike Tyson to call off comeback

Ricky Hatton has called on Mike Tyson to cancel his proposed comeback, saying he doesn’t want to his hero get hurt. The 54-year old Tyson turn pro in 1985 – a full 35 years ago – and became the youngest heavyweight champion of the world at age 20 …

John Riel Casimero on the hunt for new opponent as…

John Riel Casimero on the hunt for new opponent as Naoya Inoue fight seems unlikely

WBO bantamweight champion John Riel ‘Quadro Alas’ Casimero 29-4 (20) has opted to stay in the US rather than return home to the Philippines as he waits to secure a fight. Casimero surprised many when he knocked out South African world champion Zol…

Maurice Hooker labels Regis Prograis a coward, says fight won't…

Maurice Hooker labels Regis Prograis a coward, says fight won't happen below 145lb

Former WBO junior welterweight champion Maurice ‘Mighty Mo’ Hooker 27-1-3 (18) has lashed out at former WBA champion Regis ‘Rougarou’ Prograis 24-1 (20) after their proposed fight fell through. Hooker and Prograis were expected to fight before the…

Oscar De La Hoya insists he is serious about ring…

Oscar De La Hoya insists he is serious about ring return

Oscar De La Hoya insists he is serious about a comeback 12 years after his last pro fight. The 47-year-old Californian hasn’t fought since being stopped on his stool at the end of round eight against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas in December 2008. …

Chris Eubank Jr ready for Canelo Alvarez in September

Chris Eubank Jr ready for Canelo Alvarez in September

Chris Eubank Jr 29-2 (22) has demanded a shot at world middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 53-1-2 (36). The 30-year-old Brit has strung together three wins since losing a 12-round points decision to George Groves two years ago, including v…

Mike Tyson calls for Deontay Wilder to "grow up"

Mike Tyson calls for Deontay Wilder to

Mike Tyson wants to see former WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder 42-1-1 (41) become more dedicated to boxing ahead of his third fight with conqueror Tyson Fury 30-0-1 (21). The due have fought twice already with the first bout ending in a co…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US