WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder 40-0 (39) is insisting that the proposed unification bout between himself and England’s WBA, IBF and WBO champion Anthony Joshua 21-0 (20) is in no doubt of happening.
Last week Wilder’s team made a broad offer to Joshua that included a $USD50 million purse for the fight to happen at a venue determined by Team Wilder between September and December this year. The offer came with a Thursday deadline to agree to terms.
“It will definitely happen,” Wilder told Sky Sports. “If Joshua and his team are smart enough, they’ll take this fight and take it soon.”
Wilder’s comments come as Dominic Breazeale spoke to the media on the weekend to say his camp is in negotiations with Team Wilder for a summer fight that would likely happen between the two in either July or August.
Both American heavyweights are advised by Al Haymon and fight under his Premier Boxing Champions brand.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn does not hold the same hope as Wilder of the fight going ahead under the current terms.
Speaking to Sky Sports News, Hearn said: “It’s all very bizarre. I returned the email of Deontay Wilder and said we are very interested in making this fight, please send us a draft contract.
“He replied and said ‘you have to accept the fight and then we will send you the contract’. I’ve never known anything so bizarre since I’ve worked in boxing.
“It’s always nice to call someone’s bluff. What we’ve done is called their bluff here, and they won’t even meet to talk about the deal.”