TwitterFacebook

Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder is “70% done” according to Eddie Hearn

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

What a difference a day makes.

Matchroom Sport’s Eddie Hearn says that the highly-anticipated Anthony Joshua versus Deontay Wilder heavyweight unification bout is 70% likely to happen after positive talks between the two camps in the past 24 hours.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, Hearn replied “70 per cent” when asked how likely the fight was of happening.

See Also

“We’ve had some positive conversations over the past day or so,” said Hearn. “Negotiations are ongoing and we’re all hopeful to reach an agreement.”

Last week Wilder emailed Hearn an offer of $USD50 million for Joshua to face him before the end of the year at a venue to be determined by Wilder’s team. Those negotiations quickly stalled when Wilder’s adviser Shelly Finkel cancelled a meeting with Hearn last week where they were supposed to flesh out the details of the deal.

Negotiations, it seemed, had reached an impasse.

“I will go back with some very simple questions, which hopefully they can answer, to put us in a position to know whether it is worth talking,” Hearn said earlier this week.

“We sent them [on Tuesday] night,” Hearn said. “They can’t not answer those questions.

“I believe they want to make the fight.”

WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua, 28, has other options on the table, including a mandatory title defence against Alexander Povetkin. If that fight goes to purse bid, it could well end up taking place in Russia.

Meanwhile rising American heavyweight Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller has also been mooted as an opponent after his win over Johann Duhaupas in a WBA eliminator over the weekend.

“Povetkin is the guy we have to fight next,” Hearn explained. “If we fight Wilder, Povetkin will wait. Would we apply for a voluntary? Maybe. Would the WBA allow it? Maybe. But, really, it is Wilder or Povetkin.

“We are talking to Miller, but mainly we are talking to Povetkin because he is the guy we’ll have to fight if we don’t fight Wilder.”

Povetkin’s promoter Andrey Ryabinskiy has been pushing for his fighter to face Joshua next. If the veteran Russian heavyweight is expected to step aside, it is likely to come with a hefty price tag.

“I believe that Joshua will follow and co-operate with the rules of the sanctioning bodies for the titles that he holds,” Ryabinskiy told Sky Sports last month.

“I think every fighter has to fight the best to prove that he is the best. I see no reason why Joshua would not want to fight Povetkin as his next opponent.”

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Jason Moloney could face John Riel Casimero on Lomachenko-Lopez undercard

Bantamweight contender Jason ‘Mayhem’ Moloney 21-1 (18) could be in line for a shot at WBO champion John Riel Casimero 29-4 (20) according to broadcaster Ben Damon. Moloney scored a dominant seventh-round stoppage of rugged Mexican Leonardo Baez i…

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Andrew Moloney set for rematch against conqueror Joshua Franco

Super flyweight Andrew ‘The Barber’ Moloney 21-1 (14) will get the chance to reclaim his WBA ‘regular’ title when he faces off against conqueror Joshua Franco 17-1-2 (8) later this year. The 29-year-old Australian suffered his first career loss to…

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Michael Hunter leaves Matchroom, looks forward to September return

Heavyweight contender Michael ‘The Bounty’ Hunter 18-1-1 (12) has split from Matchroom Boxing but still expects to be back in the ring in September. The 31-year-old American has gone 6-0-1 since moving up to heavyweight with the draw coming agains…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray…

Floyd Mayweather lashes out after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard on all-time welterweight list

Floyd Mayweather has hit back after being listed behind Sugar Ray Leonard in a list of all-time great welterweights. The 43-year-old American won his first world championship at super featherweight and worked his way up the weights before finally …

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to face Teofimo Lopez on September 19

WBC, WBA and WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) is set to face IBF counterpart Teofimo Lopez 15-0 (12) in an exciting four-belt unification bout on September 19, according to promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank. Lomachenko was initial…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug…

Jarrell Miller insists he did nothing wrong following failed drug test

Disgraced heavyweight Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller has denied knowingly taken a performance enhancing drug following his failed drug test last month. The test result put the kybosh on his planned ring return against Jerry Forrest in Las Vegas on July…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US