Boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya believes that the growing animosity between his boxer Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin will only help drive the deal to see them face each other in a rematch in September, one year after their controversial draw in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The 27-year-old Alvarez, who withdrew from their scheduled May 5 rematch after twice testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol in February, announced this week that he had enrolled into the market-leading Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) program.
Golovkin and his team had been critical of Alvarez in the aftermath of the positive tests and the VADA news is seen as something of a concession from De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions to get the fight rescheduled.
Alvarez was given a six month ban from boxing by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) last month.
Speaking at the Sportel Summit in Miami, De La Hoya told AFP: “Canelo has announced that he will be tested by VADA but what a lot of people don’t know is that he’s been actually tested several times with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
“They tested him just two days ago. I think they’re testing them today as well, but he wanted to enroll in the year-round testing for his fans. He wants to keep proving that he’s innocent to keep proving that it was an innocent mistake, what took place.
“And it’s funny because I’ve travelled to Mexico quite a few times now and they ask people, what do you think about this news with Canelo? And they’re like, what news?
“With all this animosity now, guess what? The fight is going to be even bigger.”
According to De La Hoya negotiations for the fight has taken a positive turn of late but there will need to be some real movement soon to ensure the deal gets done.
“I’m 75 percent sure, confident that, that we can get this done because it (the talk from GGG camp) had been quite disparaging towards him. But of course everybody uses their own negotiating tactics,” he said.
“But I can say that I think I’m about 75 percent confident right now and happy with the process that has happened the last couple of days in terms of the broader stuff.
“There’s no cut-off date but there will be one shortly because we need to get to work.”
Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.