Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao insists that “nothing can stop” his fight against Lucas Matthysse from happening next month.
Speaking to the Philippine Star yesterday, the 39-year-old boxer-turned-senator has hit back at claims that the fight is in doubt after his company MP Promotions missed a number of financial deadlines for the fight that is scheduled to take place at the 15,000 seat Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on July 15.
“Nothing can stop that,” Pacquiao told the newspaper from General Santos City.
On Saturday, Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz told the same publication that the fight was on-schedule to proceed as planned.
“Our fight will push through as I spoke to Manny an hour ago,” Koncz told the Philippine Star.
“When the fight happens, all these doubters can eat their words,” he added.
Pacquiao, the richest ever athlete from the Philippines, insists the fight isn’t about lining his own pockets but about giving back to the community and the sport.
“As long as I can provide jobs to those who work for MP Promotions and give decent and appropriate pay to boxers fighting in the undercard, I will be very happy,” Pacquiao’s information officer, Aquiles Zonio, told the paper.
“That’s what I believe in business with morality. Self-fulfilment and helping others are more important to me than money,” said Pacquiao.
The fight will be the first time Pacquiao 59-7-2 (38) has competed since his shock loss to Australian Jeff Horn in July last year.
The 35-year-old Matthysse 39-4 (36) won the WBA welterweight title in January in just his second fight at the weight against Thai boxer Tewa Kiram. He is expected to arrive in Kuala Lumpur two weeks before the bout.
Pacquiao and his massive entourage are expected to descend on the Malaysian capital on July 9.
“The fight will proceed as scheduled. I am training hard for the fight and I never allow any distraction to destroy my focus,” said Pacquiao.
Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.