Plans for unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua 22-0 (21) to make his USA debut have been leaked online by a delivery person who recorded his phone conversation with the WBA, IBF and WBO titleholder.
In the call with the unnamed delivery firm Joshua revealed his April 13 date at Wembley Stadium is as good as dead in the water.
“I think we’re going to have to go to the States because I have done everything I can and everyone doesn’t want to fight, man,” the 2012 Olympic gold medallist said. “I think it’s about June time.”
When asked about the Wembley fight date, Joshua responded: “I doubt it.”
AJ continued: “The only thing I can think is if they’re trying to make me stop training and then two weeks out they’ll say ‘yeah, we wanna fight’ and I’m two weeks out of preparation. They might try and catch me dry.
“Other than that, in my mind we’re going to the States. It will be good though.”
Eddie Hearn, who has promoted Joshua throughout his professional career, tried to put a positive spin on the situation, saying that the leaked call might actually help boost the heavyweight’s profile.
“So, AJ had a delivery last night,” Hearn said in an interview with iFL TV. “They left a note saying ‘tried to deliver it… blah, blah’. ‘AJ gets home, phones up delivery guy and the delivery guy realises it’s Anthony Joshua and starts talking to him and he records the call and puts it straight out on YouTube.”
The call was leaked the same day as news broke online that Joshua and Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller 23-0-1 (20) fight is a done deal. But the undefeated American behemoth denied the fight had been signed just yet.
“It’s not official yet, we’ve got a couple of more things we’re working on,” Miller told BoxingTalk.
Miller said the talks have been positive and that he expects the deal to get done.
“I do, but you know me, my energy isn’t really there until I know it’s done and official. Hopefully it gets all done next week,” he said.