TwitterFacebook

Jaime Munguia ordered to begin negotiations for mandatory title defence against Dennis Hogan

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

WBO number one junior middleweight contender Dennis ‘Hurricane’ Hogan 28-1-1 (7) will get his long awaited world shot in the coming months after the WBO ordered their champion Jaime Munguia 32-0 (26) to begin negotiations for a mandatory title defence.

The Puerto Rico-based sanctioning body issued a letter dated January 31 to Munguia’s promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Zanfer Promotions, as well as Hogan’s promoter DDP Sports. All parties have 30 days to negotiate terms and reach an agreement for the fight.

The 22-year-old Munguia has openly discussed his desire to unify his championship belt with the two other recognised titleholders in his division, WBA and IBF boss Jarrett Hurd and newly-minted WBC kingpin Tony Harrison, before moving up to the marquee middleweight division.

See Also

Australian-based Irishman Hogan, 33, plans to throw a spanner in the works.

There has been talk of Munguia’s next fight taking place on the undercard of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez versus Daniel Jacobs on May 4 in Las Vegas, Nevada, but Munguia recently revealed his team is looking at an earlier fight date of April 13 in Monterrey, Mexico. This would place the fight on the opposite side of the country to Munguia’s hometown of Tijuana.

In an interview with Mexican newspaper El Sol de México Munguia said: “They tell me that my next defence could be April 13th in Monterrey.”

This doesn’t sit well with Paul Keegan of DDP Sports, who says he will do everything in his power to bring the world championship fight to Brisbane, Australia.

“We have no interest in going to Mexico but as stated we have until the end of February to lock in a fight,” Keegan said.

The minimum acceptable bid for a WBO junior middleweight title fight is $200,000.

Munguia successfully defended the title for the third time last month in what many observers and pundits believed was a subpar performance when largely unheralded Japanese boxer Takeshi Inoue 13-1-1 (7) extended him the 12-round championship distance in a competitive fight.

Hogan is coming off a 12-round points win over Jamie Weetch 12-3 (5) last December.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Vasiliy Lomachenko promises to bring the pain against Teofimo Lopez

Vasiliy Lomachenko promises to bring the pain against Teofimo Lopez

WBA and WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) has warned IBF 135-pound titleholder Teofimo Lopez 15-0 (12) that he had better be ready to back up his words when the pair meet at ‘The Bubble’ at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on Oc…

Jeison Rosario ready for epic war against Jermell Charlo on…

Jeison Rosario ready for epic war against Jermell Charlo on Saturday night

WBA and IBF junior middleweight champion Jeison Rosario 20-1-1 (14) says he is ready for war when he clashes with WBC 154-pound champion Jermell Charlo 33-1 (17) at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday night live on Showtime …

Aaron Alameda relishing underdog status ahead of Luis Nery bout

Aaron Alameda relishing underdog status ahead of Luis Nery bout

Undefeated super bantamweight Aaron Alameda 25-0 (13) is confident he can spring the upset when he meets former world champion Luis Nery 30-0 (24) for the vacant WBC title at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday night. The…

Ruben Villa ready for world title shot against Emanuel Navarrete

Ruben Villa ready for world title shot against Emanuel Navarrete

WBO number two ranked featherweight Ruben Villa 18-0 (5) is confident he has the measure of former WBO super bantamweight champion Emanuel Navarrete 32-1 (28) ahead of the clash for the vacant WBO 126-pound title at ‘The Bubble’ at the MM Grand in La…

Sergiy Derevyanchenko plans to force the action against Jermall Charlo

Sergiy Derevyanchenko plans to force the action against Jermall Charlo

WBC number one contender Sergiy Derevyanchenko 13-2 (10) has promised to make it an inside fight when he faces WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo 30-0 (22) at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday night. “I’ll definit…

Tyson Fury advises Anthony Joshua to ditch the WBO belt

Tyson Fury advises Anthony Joshua to ditch the WBO belt

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury 30-0-1 (21) has challenged unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua 23-1 (21) to ditch his WBO strap rather than face former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk 17-0 (13) in a mandatory title defenc…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US