IBF middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs 35-2 (29) is looking to consolidate his legacy when he meets WBC and WBA middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 51-1-2 (35) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 4.
The 32-year-old ‘Miracle Man’ was sidelined for more than a year-and-a-half as he battled bone cancer before successfully returning to the ring in 2012.
“We have worked so hard for this moment and it is not a moment we will take for granted,” said Jacobs, who claimed the vacant IBF belt by beating previously undefeated Sergiy Derevyanchenko by split decision in New York last October.
“I have always had the long road, jumping over hurdle after hurdle after hurdle, but when I step in the ring that will be my last hurdle – I will declare myself middleweight champion.
“This fight is for the fans and our legacy is on the line. It’s about claiming my own legacy in my own right.”
Two years ago Jacobs went the 12-round distance with then-unified champion Gennady Golovkin, losing a razor-thin decision in a fight many expected the Kazakh bomber to dominate.
Golovkin suffered his first professional loss last September in his rematch against Alvarez, who had previously held the 36-yearold punching machine to a draw.
In his last outing Alvarez demolished Britain’s Rocky Fielding in three one-sided round in a super middleweight contest in December.
Alvarez is expecting a tougher challenge from Jacobs come Cinco de Mayo.
“We will do what we always do, prepare ourselves to the fullest,” he said. “This is going to be a great fight and we will come out with our hand raised.
“We know his style is going to be difficult, very complicated, but at this level this is what you have to face.”