WBC welterweight world champion Shawn ‘Showtime’ Porter 29-2-1 (17) has laughed off claims from world title challenger Yordenis Ugas 23-3 (11) that he has the better technical skills ahead of their fight this Saturday night at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.
Porter, 31, will be making the first defence of the WBC 147-pound title he won against Danny Garcia last September.
“I’m sure Ugas has looked at what I do in the ring and sees how tough and rough it is to fight me. He thinks he’s the better boxer and has more technical skills, which is fine with me. He can say what he wants, but the talking is done after today,” Porter said.
The 32-year-old Miami-based Cuban, who hasn’t lost a fight in almost five years, insisted he was the better boxers and said it would show on the night.
“I am 100 percent better technically than Shawn Porter. It’s going to make this a great fight on Saturday and we’re going to give the fans an incredible night,” Ugas said.
“Shawn and I sparred a couple years ago but I’m a way different fighter than I was then. You’re going to see an elite fighter on Saturday.”
Porter, whose only two losses were a majority decision to Kell Brook in 2014 and a five-rounds-to-seven unanimous decision to Keith Thurman in 2016, wants the big names in the deep welterweight division.
“Keith Thurman, Errol Spence Jr. or Manny Pacquiao,” Porter said. “Those are all big fights that people want to see. If this fight goes the way we want it to go, those guys are the goal for the next fight.”
Porter previously held the IBF welterweight title and holds victories over former world champions Paulie Malignaggi, Devon Alexander and Adrien Broner.