Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn is looking to expand his middleweight stable with the addition of undefeated WBC interim champion Jermall ‘Hit Man’ Charlo 28-0 (21).
Hearn revealed he has been speaking to Charlo about joining his stable in association with streaming service DAZN.
The main selling point for Hearn is his already near-monopoly of the biggest names in the 160-pound division, including WBC and WBA champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, former undisputed champion Gennady ‘Triple G’ Golovkin, WBO titleholder Demetrius Andrade and IBF boss Daniel Jacobs.
“We’ve got GGG, Canelo, Andrade and Jacobs,” Hearn said he told Charlo in comments to the media. “You’ll be paid three times as much money as you’re making at the moment and fight all those guys. What the f*** are you waiting for?”
The 28-year-old Charlo is with Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions and despite an 11-year pro career is yet to face a top-tier opponent.
Over the weekend it was revealed that Golovkin had signed a three-fight, six-year deal with DAZN with full details expected to be announced at a press conference in Los Angeles in Monday.
Golovkin, 36, dropped a disputed decision to Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena last September after previously being held to a draw against the popular Mexican a year earlier. The Kazakh bomber’s new deal is expected to lead him eventually to a third fight against Alvarez.
As it stands Golovkin is pencilled in for a June return against an opponent to be named, a fight that could well land in New York on the undercard of the heavyweight title fight between Anthony Joshua and Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden.
Hearn expects to announce the fight next week.
WBO titleholder Demetrius Andrade, who is coming off a 12th round of Artur Akavov in January, is expected to return in his hometown of Providence, Rhode Island on June 22, possibly against the winner of the Maciej Sulecki versus Gabriel Rosado fight scheduled for this Friday night.