Yordenis Ugas disappointed with Shawn Porter result, calls for rematch

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

A clearly disappointed Yordenis Ugas 23-4 (11) has called for a rematch following his close split decision loss to WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter 30-2-1 (17) at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California on Saturday night.

Judge Steve Morrow awarded Porter the victory 116-112, while judge Max DeLuca had the champion ahead 115-113. Judge Zachary Young gave the fight to the challenger 117-111.

“I felt I won the fight. Big time. The judges made a mistake as did the referee for not counting that a knockdown in the final round. I felt I won the fight clearly. The judges messed up,” the 32-year-old Miami-based Cuban said.

See Also

Ugas controlled the action for much of the first half of the fight and continued to apply the pressure down the stretch against an at times uncharacteristically passive Porter who was content to counterpunch in spurts.

Late in the 10th round Ugas cut Porter over the right eye from a legal punch and in the 12th Porter found himself on the canvas – ruled a slip by referee Jack Reiss.

“I pushed the pace. I backed him up and pushed him. I came to fight. When they announced the decision I was surprised and expecting my hand to be raised,” said Ugas.

“Porter is a strong fighter but I came here to fight. Shawn didn’t want any part of me. I attacked the whole fight. I won.

“I want a rematch. I deserve it. I did enough to win. The WBC should order a rematch. Overall I’m proud of myself. Opportunities will come out of this!”

The 31-year-old Porter, who initially missed weight by 1.8-pounds before returning to the scales two-hours later to make 146.8-pounds, insisted the fight went to plan.

“The crowd was expecting a big brawl, but that’s not the way this fight needed to go tonight. That style that we used left the fight close,” said Porter.

“We got the win, we’re still champion and we’re looking forward to what is next… the weight cut didn’t affect me at all. I was on my toes all night. I was very focused the entire fight and just listening to my corner.”

Read more articles about: ,


Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.



Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24