TwitterFacebook

New life breathed into Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder fight as DAZN targets WBC champ

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

Promoter Eddie Hearn has renewed confidence that a unification bout between Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder will happen later this year after it emerged that the WBC heavyweight champion has entered talks with sports streaming service DAZN.

Wilder, who was expected to rematch Tyson Fury in his next fight until the Brit signed with rival broadcaster ESPN, has been discussing his options executive chairman of DAZN John Skipper.

WBA, IBF and WBO champion Joshua’s fights are broadcast by DAZN in the United States.

See Also

“It’s fantastic,” said an upbeat Hearn of the news. “I think we’ve got a brilliant chance of making the Joshua fight.

“The only way that deal was ever gonna get made was doing it this way – the John Skipper way.

“He’s gotta be the one, in my opinion, that brokers the deal. He’s already proved that he’s very good at doing that.

“And I think he will get Wilder, I do. I think that he will put the deal together for Wilder to fight Joshua.”

Negotiations for a Joshua-Wilder fight fell apart last year amid public sniping from both sides on social media.

Before the proposed Joshua-Wilder fight can happen, AJ must first get past undefeated American behemoth Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller at New York’s famed Madison Square Garden on June 1, while the ‘Bronze Bomber’ needs to turn back the challenge of hard-hitting mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale in May.

If everything goes to plan, Hearn says the pair will share a ring before the year is out.

“November/December,” Hearn said when asked to name a date for the fight. “I think Deontay’s comments have led to this chain of events. By him coming out and saying, ‘I’m not with Showtime, I’m up for speaking to everybody.’

“John knows what he’s doing, so he had to make sure that the approach was there.

“He spoke to me before and said, ‘What do you think?’ I said, ‘f***ing go for it, mate.’

“I have full confidence in him to make this fight.”

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

FITE – BOXING TV FIXTURES

TOP STORIES

Vergil Ortiz Jr wants Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, says…

Vergil Ortiz Jr wants Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr, says Manny Pacquiao fight unlikely to happen

Fast-rising welterweight knockout artist Vergil Ortiz Jr 15-0 (15) is ready to test his mettle against any of the top 147-pounders after his fight against seasoned campaigner Samuel Vargas 31-5-2 (14) later this month. The destructive 22-year-old …

Callum Smith and John Ryder on the shortlist to face…

Callum Smith and John Ryder on the shortlist to face Canelo Alvarez in September

World middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez 53-1-2 (36) could face either Callum Smith 27-0 (19) or John Ryder 28-5 (16) in his next fight, according to Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez. WBA super middleweight champion Smith succes…

Devin Haney claims Vasiliy Lomachenko ducked him, calls out the…

Devin Haney claims Vasiliy Lomachenko ducked him, calls out the big names

WBC lightweight champion Devin ‘The Dream’ Haney 24-0 (15) has put the big names on notice as he awaits news of his next assignment. The 21-year-old from San Francisco who fights out of Las Vegas paid respect to unified lightweight champion Vasili…

Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in deep discussions for…

Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in deep discussions for all-action heavyweight scrap

Former unified heavyweight champion Andy ‘The Destroyer’ Ruiz Jr 33-2 (22) is in negotiations to face former three-time world title challenger Chris ‘The Nightmare’ Arreola 38-6-1 (33). The 30-year-old Mexican-American is on the comeback trail aft…

Carlos Takam outpoints Jerry Forrest, wants Tyson Fury, Oscar Rivas

Carlos Takam outpoints Jerry Forrest, wants Tyson Fury, Oscar Rivas

Heavyweight Carlos Takam 39-5-1 (28) overcame a less than perfect preparation to outpoint Jerry ‘Slugger’ Forrest 26-4 (20) at ‘The Bubble’ at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on Thursday night. The 39-year-old stepped in as a late replacement a…

Carlos Castro calls for world title shot following dominant win…

Carlos Castro calls for world title shot following dominant win over Cesar Juarez

Super bantamweight contender Carlos Castro 26-0 (11) has called for a world title shot following his dominant fourth-round knockout of former world title challenger Cesar Juarez 25-9 (19) at ‘The Bubble’ at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on Thurs…

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US