WBA and WBO lightweight world champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 12-1 (9) has announced plans to unify all four 135-pound titles before moving back down in weight to the super featherweight division where he previously held a version of the world title.
The 31-year-old Ukrainian southpaw made eight defences of the WBO 130-pound title before moving up in weight last year.
Speaking to the media at Fortune Gym in Hollywood, California on Monday ahead of his unified title defence against Anthony ‘Million Dollar’ Crolla 34-6-3 (13) at Los Angeles’ Staples Center on April 12, Lomachenko laid out his plans for the future.
“Right now, I am a lightweight, but lightweight is not my ideal weight category. My goal now is to unify all four titles, and then, we’ll see. Maybe I’ll move back down to 130 pounds and win world titles there for a second time,” he said.
Lomachenko insisted he didn’t know much about his veteran opponent outside of his back-to-back decision losses to then-WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares.
“I don’t know too much about him. I know him from his two fights with Jorge Linares. I do know he is an aggressive fighter and I like to fight guys who come forward,” Lomachenko said.
“I prepare like always. We are training hard. I’ve been training for a couple months already and will put on a great performance for my fans in Los Angeles and on ESPN+. I will show everyone my best style and hope everyone enjoys it.
“I want to fight the best. But now, Crolla is the best choice. He is the mandatory challenger and wanted to fight me. That is why I accepted this fight.”
Rising star Teofimo Lopez 12-0 (10) was mentioned as a future opponent, an option Lomachenko refused to rule out.
“I’m ready for everyone. I need the belts. If you have a belt, you can come in the ring and I’ll fight with you,” he said.