Abel Sanchez has hit back at Gennady Golovkin after the former unified middleweight champion sacked his longtime trainer.
Sanchez has revealed money was the contentious issue that forced the split.
The veteran trainer said Golovkin, who recently signed a lucrative $100 million broadcast deal with streaming service DAZN, made an insulting financial offer to continue coaching him.
“FYI, as of today I will no longer be working with Gennady Golovkin,” Sanchez said in a statement to Yahoo Sports.
“After a great 9-year run, records set and equaled, developing a Hall of Fame career and making it possible to sign a six-fight, $100 million contract with DAZN, he proposed and insisted on an insulting new trainer compensation schedule.
“My dignity and honor does not allow me to be screwed like that. It’s unfortunate being greedy, being ungrateful and no ethics, honor or integrity will end this relationship.”
Sanchez began training Golovkin in early 2010. Together, the duo won 20 fights with the only blemishes being a disputed loss and a draw to Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.
Earlier on Wednesday Golovkin issued a statement about the split.
“I would like to announce that I have made a major decision for myself and for my career,” Golovkin said.
“I want to build on what I have already achieved and continue to better myself. Therefore, I will not be training with Abel Sanchez.
“This was not an easy decision for me and it is not a reflection on Abel’s professional abilities. He is a great trainer, a loyal trainer, and a Hall of Fame trainer.
“I will be announcing my new trainer at a later date. But today, I want to thank Abel for the lessons he taught me in boxing.”
Golovkin is due to return to the ring against undefeated Canadian Steve Rolls at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 8.
Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.