TwitterFacebook

Anthony Joshua requests deadline extension to negotiate Kubrat Pulev fight

Anthony Cocks

Australian-based boxing journalist Anthony Cocks has been covering the sport for over 15 years for various print and online publications. He refuses to believe that Roberto Duran ever lost to Tommy Hearns and says that Jeff Fenech would destroy Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali on the same night.

Follow Anthony Cocks on: Twitter | Facebook
KO Boxing Forum

The IBF have confirmed that the Anthony Joshua and Kubrat Pulev camps have asked for a deadline extension to negotiate their mandated fight.

Britain’s Joshua, who holds the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight championships, was recently ordered to make mandatory title defences against Pulev and Oleksandr Usyk, his IBF and WBO mandatory challengers respectively.

Speculation has been rife that Joshua will vacate his WBO title to pursue the Pulev fight, which will give promotional stablemate and former undisputed cruiserweight champion Usyk the opportunity to fight for the vacant belt.

See Also

“I have just been told that the Pulev and Joshua camps have asked until January 31 to negotiate,” a spokesperson for the IBF revealed to Sky Sports.

Earlier in the week promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing revealed Usyk was being offered an alternative fight against Dereck Chisora in London.

“Conversations are ongoing with all parties to plan what’s next and it will really come to a head over the next few weeks,” Hearn told Sky Sports.

“We are still awaiting clarification from the governing bodies to confirm who is chronologically next but right now everything is in play.

“In terms of Usyk versus Chisora that is still a potential outcome, but March 7 is unlikely. Instead we have March 28 on hold at the O2.”

Bulgaria’s Pulev – whose lone loss was to Wladimir Klitschko – was scheduled to face Joshua in October 2017 before being forced to withdraw from the fight due to injury.

If the WBO title does become vacant former champion Joseph Parker looks likely to be in the opposite corner to Usyk after being elevated to No.2 in the rankings.

“If he [Joshua] vacates the WBO, then suddenly you’ve got Usyk mandatory and I think the next available ranked boxer is Joseph Parker,” said the New Zealander’s manager David Higgins.

“You could end up with a situation where you have Usyk fight Parker for the vacant title, which funnily enough is how Joseph became world champion. He fought [Andy] Ruiz for the vacant title. History repeats.”

red-speech-300×267

Click Here, If you wish to add a COMMENT to the above article or any of the Ringnews24 boxing articles.

 

Welcome

Welcome to Ringnews24; read the latest boxing news from around the world.

The site is run by boxing fans James Tonks and Lee Daley.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free toEmail Us

Write for Ringnews24

KO BOXING FORUM

CONNECT WITH US