Home Boxing News Eddie Hearn says Tim Tszyu is not ready for Jermell Charlo

Eddie Hearn says Tim Tszyu is not ready for Jermell Charlo

Tim Tszyu. Photo credit: Ryan Hafey/Premier Boxing Champions

Eddie Hearn has questioned whether WBO number one contender Tim ‘The Soul Taker’ Tszyu 21-0 (15) is ready for a world title fight against undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell ‘Iron Man’ Charlo 35-1-1 (19).

The Matchroom Boxing boss, who will promote his first show in Australia in September when WBO number one contender Liam ‘The Prodigy’ Paro 22-0 (13) puts his ranking on the line against Brock Jarvis 20-0 (18), has given his take on how he thinks the Charlo-Tszyu fight will play out.

The 27-year-old Tszyu from Sydney, Australia climbed on the canvas in the first round to outpoint American Olympian Terrell Gausha 22-3-1 (11) in his US debut in Minneapolis on March. The score were 114-113, 116-111 and 115-112.

Texan Charlo, 32, outclassed Argentine Brian Castano 17-1-2 (12) in his most recent outing in California last month, outboxing him en route to a 10th round stoppage. The fight was a rematch of their split draw in July last year.

Charlo is expected to defend against Tszyu in October in America. The WBO ordered Charlo and Tszyu to negotiate a deal before June 20 or the fight would go to purse bids. WBO president Paco Valcarcel revealed on June 13 that an agreement in principal had been reached between the two parties.

“They told us that they have an agreement and that they are looking for a date because big fights are coming and this is one of them,” Valcarcel told ESPN Knockout.

But Hearn has cautioned Team Tszyu that their boxer may not yet be ready for the cream of the crop at 154-pounds.

“The Charlo fight is too early for him, to be honest with you,” Hearn told the Daily Telegraph.

“I don’t see him winning that fight, but he also has a very good team around him. No Limit have done a very good job with Tim, I’m impressed with their shows, and they believe in him so much that sometimes you can be seduced by it.

“I have made that mistake before as a promoter. You think a fighter is ready and you think a fighter can win a certain fight because you believe in him and love him so much.

“I just look at the Charlo fight and how dominant Charlo was and think, ‘Is it the right time for Tszyu to face him?’… Tim is talented, no question, but I don’t think he wins that fight.”

Tszyu has dominated his Australian opposition, wiping out virtually every credible junior middleweight before heading overseas.

Gausha was a step up in class for him, but critics have questioned whether he is ready for the jump up in class to a boxer like Charlo.

But the proposed fight could be in jeopardy with reports IBF number one contender Bakhram Murtazaliev 20-0 (15) has also agreed to terms to face Charlo.

“We’ve agreed to fight Charlo, I can only go off what we’ve done,” Tszyu’s promoter Matt Rose said to the Sydney Morning Herald. “I don’t know anything in relation to a deal with Bakhram. We’re trying to work this out ourselves.

“Is it a concern? We don’t know the circumstances, so I can’t comment on that. We understand his position as well – if they have a deal in place and we have a deal in place, it’s a bit of a mess.

“We have no control over it.”