Home Boxing News Devin Haney says Teofimo Lopez would get hurt by Regis Prograis or...

Devin Haney says Teofimo Lopez would get hurt by Regis Prograis or Jose Carlos Ramirez

Devin Haney. Photo credit: Sky Sports

Undisputed lightweight champion Devin ‘The Dream’ Haney 29-0 (15) believes that Teofimo Lopez 18-1 (13) needs to get his head right if he has any chance of defeating WBC junior welterweight champion Regis Prograis 28-1 (24) or former WBC and WBO 140-pound champion Jose Carlos Ramirez 27-1 (17).

The 25-year-old Lopez delivered a lacklustre performance in his 10-round split decision victory over Sandor Martin 40-3 (13) earlier this month.

After the bout he was caught on the mic asking himself if he still had it.

It was Lopez’s second bout at 140-pounds following his split decision loss to George Kambosos Jr 20-2 (10) in November last year.

“He doesn’t look the same as he looked before,” Haney said to Thaboxingvoice. “I don’t know if [George Kambosos] ruined him or if something happened in the fight medically. Maybe that ruined him. I don’t know, but he doesn’t look like the same Teo.”

Haney believe a break from the sport would help Lopez immensely.

“He’s questioning himself. I think he needs to take some time away from the sport and really get his mind right and then come back,” Haney continued.

“I feel like if he keeps on, he’s going to get hurt, especially against a guy like Regis [Prograis] or a guy like [Jose] Ramirez. Those are real punchers.”

Even with Lopez apparently struggling with his career at the moment, Haney said he would welcome the opportunity to jump up a weight division to face the former unified lightweight champion of the world.

“Of course, I would love that fight,” Haney said. “It’s still a huge fight. It’s a big fight in boxing. People will still watch it.

“I don’t care how he is mentally, physically, whatever the case may be. If he signs the contract, that’s all that matters to me. I’ll exploit your weakness.”

The main man at junior welterweight remains Josh Taylor, who previously held all four major world titles before abandoning the WBC, WBA and IBF belts to avoid a string of mandatories. He is scheduled to face fellow southpaw Jack Catterall on March 4 in defence of his WBO strap following his contentious split decision win in February.

Haney expects Taylor to move up in weight after the bout.

“I think he’ll be done at 140 after this fight and I’ll probably go right after his belt after he leaves it,” Haney said.

The 24-year-old Haney, who is expected to defend his WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight title against Vasiliy Lomachenko next, appears to be not long for the 135-pound division.

“Every fighter is dry on the scales, I don’t care who it is,” said Haney about his recent weigh-ins. “I came in and made the weight. Some fighters don’t make the weight and they talk about them. A fighter like me does everything to make the weight and they still talk about me.

“What do you want me to do? Do you want me not to make the weight and say, ‘Oh, I couldn’t make the weight,’ and then y’all talk bad about me and say I’m not a true champion, or I make the weight and I look a little dry?

“I came in and I hydrated up and I put on one of my best performances [against Kambosos]. What can I say?”