Home Boxing News Jaime Munguia says he can’t catch a break looking for big fights

Jaime Munguia says he can’t catch a break looking for big fights

Jaime Munguia
Jaime Munguia

Former WBO junior middleweight champion Jaime Munguia 41-0 (33) will finally take a step up of sorts when he takes on Sergiy ‘The Technician’ Derevyanchenko 14-4 (10) in his seventh fight since moving up from the 154-pound divison at the Toyota Arena in Ontario, California on June 10.

The 26-year-old Mexican ditched his WBO belt to move up to middleweight three-and-a-half years ago but his level of opposition has gone backwards since then. Those victories were against Gary O’Sullivan, Tureano Johnson, Kamil Szeremeta, Gabriel Rosado, D’Mitrius Ballard, Jimmy Kelly, and Gonzalo Coria.

In Ukrainian Derevyanchenko, 37, he is at least facing a former three-time world title challenger. But Derevyanchenko has lost four of his last six bouts against Daniel Jacobs, Gennadiy Golovkin, Jermall Charlo and Carlos Adames. Although those losses have been close and competitive, they have also been gruelling wars, leading to the question: how much does he have left?

The Munguia-Derevyanchenko fight will take place at the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds.

Munguia insists he wants the big fights, citing WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol, Golovkin and Charlo as targets.

“It was a very real opportunity to fight Bivol. We were in talks with them, several proposals back and forth but for whatever reason, the fight really couldn’t be done,” Munguia said.

“Golovkin is a fight we’ve wanted. In the beginning, they looked for us, then we started going after them. But as of late he hasn’t said anything if he wants to fight or not so it’s disappointing that the fight hasn’t been made but I think it’s an easy fight to make and hopefully, we can make it sometime in the future.”

Undefeated WBC middleweight champ Charlo – who hasn’t fought in two years – is also on his radar.

“Obviously now with the success of Gervonta Davis and Ryan Garcia, I think it makes things a little bit easier with the TV networks Showtime and DAZN,” Munguia said of a Charlo bout. “It’s a fight that we’ve wanted and looked for but Charlo hasn’t fought in two years, so we have to wait and see when he wants to come back but that’s a fight we still want to make.”

Until one of these fights happen, Munguia’s career remains in a holding pattern.