Home Boxing News Anthony Joshua vs Dillian Whyte still in play for the northern summer

Anthony Joshua vs Dillian Whyte still in play for the northern summer

Dillian-Whyte
Dillian Whyte

A fight between Anthony Joshua 25-3 (22) and Dillian Whyte 29-3 (19) is still on the table for August, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

The bout appeared dead in the water last week as the Matchroom Boxing boss said they were actively seeking another opponent for former two-time unified heavyweight champion Joshua after Whyte rejected the financial terms of the offer.

Now it appears that perennial contender Whyte, 36, has changed his tune.

“We made an offer to Dillian Whyte four or five weeks ago and they came back, and the exact wording was ‘absolutely not, this is unacceptably low’ and basically nowhere near a number that they’d accept,” Hearn said to Boxing Social.

“Now they come out today out of the blue and say, ‘we accept that offer’ right when we’re about to announce or are in final negotiations with another opponent.

“We went straight back to Dillian and said, ‘can you confirm that you accept that offer’ and they said ‘yes, we do’ and I said ‘fantastic’, so we’re getting them a contract.

“They’ll have a contract today, we need to move at pace but if they’re serious that fight can 100 per cent happen.

“It’s still the fight that AJ wants for August 12th so again, if Dillian is serious, that fight is going to happen.”

The 33-year-old Joshua is hoping to squeeze in the August bout before a proposed fight against former WBC champion Deontay Wilder 43-2-1 (42) in Saudi Arabia in December.

Whyte recently rejected claims he had turned down the fight.

“They’re talking rubbish. I haven’t turned down the fight.  All I got, after Eddie talked publicly and often about making me an offer to fight AJ, was a very short email late in the evening on Friday 2 June,” Whyte told The Sun.

“I absolutely 100 percent want to fight AJ and called Eddie to discuss the offer but couldn’t get hold of him. I messaged him too. I didn’t hear back from him so I sent him an email to confirm I wanted the fight. I didn’t turn down the offer or propose a counter-offer.  All I did was ask normal questions on his three-line email so-called offer.

“Even before I emailed, Eddie was already saying publicly that his offer was unacceptable. So, why make it in the first place? It is out of order to use me to boost AJ’s value in negotiations for the Wilder fight, without any intention to fight me. Heavyweight boxing is in an absolute mess at the moment and bullshit like this doesn’t help.”

Joshua was last in action in April when he outpointed fringe contender Jermaine Franklin 21-2 (14) by unanimous decision in his first fight under new trainer Derrick James.

Whyte is also coming off a victory over Franklin in November last year by majority decision.