Home Boxing News Tim Tszyu takes aim at Jermell Charlo for fighting Canelo Alvarez instead...

Tim Tszyu takes aim at Jermell Charlo for fighting Canelo Alvarez instead of him

Tim Tszyu. Photo credit: David Clark/News Corp Australia

Undefeated Australian Tim ‘The Soul Taker’ Tszyu 23-0 (17) looks set to elevated to full championship status by the WBO after it was revealed today that undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell ‘Iron Man’ Charlo 35-1-1 (19) would move up two weight classes to face undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 59-2-2 (39) in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 30.

It was widely expected that Mexican superstar Alvarez, 32, would defend his belts against idle WBC middleweight champion Jermall ‘Hit Man’ Charlo 32-0 (22), Jermell’s twin brother who has not boxed for more than two years.

The boxing world was shocked today when Alvarez posted to his official social media accounts “Undisputed vs undisputed” along with a mock-up image of himself and Jermell holding their WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF and Ring Magazine championship belts.

Showtime’s president of sports and event programming, Stephen Espinoza, explained the reason for the change of opponent.

“At the end of the day, everyone understands Jermall has been dealing with some personal issues and the feeling is he couldn’t fully commit to a fight of this magnitude and be fully prepared and do all of the things he needed to do while balancing everything that is going on in his personal life,” Espinoza told Yahoo Sports.

Espinoza defended Alvarez’s choice to face a boxer two weight classes below him.

“Not that long ago, both of them were at 154,” Espinoza said. “And Jermell has been talking about going to 160 for a while. You understand that Jermell is a very big 154-pounder. It will be a challenge, but he’s optimistic and believes he’ll be able to do it.”

All of this maneuvering leaves Tszyu without a dance partner. The 28-year-old was scheduled to challenge Charlo in January before the undisputed champion broke his hand, was expected to match up with him mid-year before Charlo decided he need more time to recover from his injury, and had the WBO on his side setting a deadline of September 30 for Charlo to defend against Tszyu.

Charlo will be 16 months removed from the ring when he takes on Alvarez. His last bout was a 10th round knockout of Brian Castano in May of last year, while Alvarez is coming off a unanimous decision win over John Ryder this past May.

The news of the Alvarez-Charlo fight has infuriated Tszyu, who posted on Instagram that both boxers were avoiding greater challenges.

“Canelo ducks Benavidez. Charlo ducks Tszyu #Boxing,” he wrote.

Tszyu has fought twice this year while waiting around for Charlo, 33. In March he knocked out the only man to defeat Charlo, Tony Harrison, in nine rounds to claim the interim WBO 154-pound strap. Last month he blasted out Calos Ocampo in one.

After the Ocampo bout he sent a message to the once-beaten American.

“There’s no doubt I’m going to America, that’s the land I want to conquer,” Tszyu said. “I’m not satisfied with his interim belt – I want all four and I want the name Charlo on my resume. Let’s dance in October.”

Tszyu may one day get that Charlo name on his resume, but it won’t be happening this year.