Home Boxing News Terence Crawford vows to make his critics eat their words

Terence Crawford vows to make his critics eat their words

Terence Crawford. Photo credit: Mikey Williams/Top Rank

WBO welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 39-0 (30) has a chip on his shoulder.

The 35-year-old native of Omaha, Nebraska, who has won world titles from 135- to 147-pounds including unifying all four major belts at 140-pounds, believes there needs to be more respect put on his name.

“After this fight, everybody that had something negative to say about Terence Crawford will eat their words and they will give me the respect that I rightfully deserve,” Crawford said weeks out from his fight against Errol ‘The Truth’ Spence Jr 28-0 (22) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 29.

“If they don’t, that’s something they will have to deal with.

“That just shows the lack of knowledge that these people hold. A lot of people say that I don’t have the resume. I just laugh at them. Come July 29, it doesn’t matter who I’ve fought.”

Crawford may be extremely confident going in to the bout, but don’t mistake that attitude for taking his opponent lightly. He holds Spence in the highest regard.

“I don’t get overconfident or anything. I just make sure I am doing the things I need to do to better myself,” said Crawford.

“I feel as though Errol will make more adjustments along the way and he won’t just fight the same fight the whole fight. I expect him to make adjustments. He’s a great professional.”

Crawford doubled down on his siege mentality in an interview with former opponent Shawn Porter.

“I’ve been the underdog my whole career. Coming into this fight, I feel as if a lot of people are writing me off,” Crawford said on The Porter Way Podcast.

“Saying well, ‘Errol’s bigger, Errol’s stronger, he’s more technical, his jab is better, he’s better defensive, he could take a punch better.’ I’m just sitting here and licking my chops because I know who I am. I know what I’m capable of.”

The bout between Crawford and Spence looked destined to be relegated to the ‘what if’ basket after negotiations between the pairs’ camps fell apart last year.

But in a rare move that has impressed fans and pundits alike, the Crawford and Spence got in direct contact to iron out the finer details of the contract that prevented the deal from getting over the line the first time around.

While talks between the two parties were ongoing, Crawford defended his WBO strap against European champion David Avanesyan in December, knocking him out in six. Spence opted to keep his powder dry.

“They wanted me to get another fight,” said Spence, who was linked to a non-title fight at junior middleweight against Keith Thurman. “I didn’t want to risk an injury, a cut… anything could happen. I just decided to sit in the house, chill and just wait on the Terence fight, or find out if the fight wasn’t happening and then take another fight. I was willing to sacrifice a payday and another win to wait on Terence.”

The 33-year-old Spence of Desoto, Texas knows exactly what is on the line against Crawford.

“I know the magnitude of this fight and what this means for our legacy,” Spence said. “I was willing to wait, he wasn’t. I didn’t want to just go out and fight somebody. I put the ego to the side and got the fight done.”