Home Boxing News Undisputed vs Undisputed locked and loaded for September 30

Undisputed vs Undisputed locked and loaded for September 30

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Jermell Charlo. Photo credit: Sporting News

Undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 59-2-2 (39) is looking forward to defending his 168-pound titles against current undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell ‘Iron Man’ Charlo 35-1-1 (19) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 30.

Mexican superstar Alvarez, 33, will be having his second fight this year after outpointing British southpaw John Ryder 32-6 (18) in Mexico in May.

Texan Charlo, 33, will enter the ring as the undisputed 154-pound champion but will be immediately stripped of his WBO as soon as the bell rings for failing to defend his belts against mandatory challenger Tim Tszyu 23-0 (17) of Australia.

“I’m very happy that we got to make a fight of this magnitude between two undisputed champions,” Alvarez said.

“Jermell Charlo has also faced the best in his division and I’m glad that the fans are going to enjoy a world class fight between us on September 30.”

Charlo has been out of the ring since May last year when he stopped Brian Castano 17-1 (12) in 10 rounds in their rematch. Their first bout in July 2021 was ruled a draw.

Charlo was scheduled to defend his titles against Tszyu in January but a hand injury suffered just before Christmas prevented him from fulfilling that obligation.

The WBO repeatedly gave him extensions to make the fight before Charlo ultimately elected to challenge Alvarez in what will be a massive money fight.

“I’m really excited to make history once again on September 30,” Charlo said. “This is the biggest fight in boxing and I’m coming to leave it all in the ring like I do every time.

“I manifested this fight into existence and earned it with everything I’ve done in this sport so far.

“Canelo is a great fighter, but he’s gonna see what ‘Lions Only’ is all about. When the fight’s over, people are gonna have to recognise that I’m the best fighter in the sport.”

Charlo is not only confident over bowling over the number one super middleweight in the world, but he also has plans to return to junior middleweight to dominate.

“Bout to shock the world (168),” said Charlo on his Instagram account. “Then I’m coming back to hold my throne at (154). I’m the king. Nothing will stop me.”

One boxer lurking one division below his natural weight is undisputed welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 40-0 (31), who defeated his stablemate Errol ‘The Truth’ Spence Jr 28-1 (22) by ninth-round knockout on July 29.

“Mega fights from here on out. After my boy rematch, we can give the people what they want and make the Terence Crawford fight happen!!” he posted.

Omaha, Nebraska’s Crawford, 35, has been linked to a fight against leading contender Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis 31-0 (28), but he told Hot 97 this week that he has bigger fish to fry.

“Now that could happen [regarding a fight with Ennis] because we’re at the same weight class, but at this point in time, I’m looking for bigger and better opportunities like Charlo,” Crawford said.