Home Boxing News Oscar De La Hoya criticises Canelo Alvarez’s footwork, says anyone with Dmitry...

Oscar De La Hoya criticises Canelo Alvarez’s footwork, says anyone with Dmitry Bivol’s style will beat him

The former promoter of Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 59-2-2 (39) believes that anyone who can mimic the style of Dmitry Bivol 21-0 (11) will beat him.

Back in May last year undisputed super middleweight champion Alvarez, 33, moved up to light heavyweight to challenge WBA champion Bivol in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 32-year-old Russian was simply too slick and skillful for Alvarez, winning a unanimous decision by scores of 115-113 across the board in a fight that many fans and pundits thought should have been scored more widely.

It was Alvarez’s second incursion to the 175-pound division after previously dethroning WBO champion Sergey Kovalev 35-4-1 (29) by 11th round knockout in Las Vegas four years ago.

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya, who had an acrimonious split with Alvarez some years ago, says Bivol laid out the blueprint to defeating the pound-for-pound stalwart.

“Any style that you give Canelo which is similar to Bivol, he’s going to have trouble with,” the Golden Boy Promotions boss said to Fight Hub TV.

“Anyone who stays on their toes, flicks a jab in front of his face and knows how to keep the distance, Canelo is going to have trouble with.

“Because he walks in quicksand, that’s just how his style is. It’s worked for him all these years, and he’s become accustomed to knocking his opponents out and walking them down with a lot of power.

“Anyone who tries to box him and have a similar style to Bivol, he’s going to have a lot of trouble with.”

There was talk of a rematch with Bivol willing to come down to the 168-pound division to face Alvarez for his WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF titles.

“Look, he asked and tried to make the negotiations hard, right, and tried to make his own decision and everything. And I tried my best,” Alvarez told Brian Custer on The Last Stand podcast.

Alvarez admits the loss hurt at the time but says he has put it behind him now as he focuses in on his next challenge, a world title defence against undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell ‘Iron Man’ Charlo 35-1-1 (19) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 30 in a fight being billed as ‘Undisputed vs Undisputed’.

“Obviously, nobody is prepared to lose, right?” said Alvarez said during the first episode of Showtime’s All Access series for Alvarez-Charlo. “Obviously I was very hurt by the defeat but in the end, you have to accept it.

“And you also have to look at the circumstances in which I lost, moving up in weight and trying to continue making history. You have to see how you lost and also accept it and take it like a man and move on. It doesn’t stop there.”