Home Boxing News Jordan Thompson says he is ready to wrest world title from Jai...

Jordan Thompson says he is ready to wrest world title from Jai Opetaia

Jai Opetaia and Jordan Thompson. Photo credit: Mark Robinson/Matchroom Boxing

IBF number five ranked cruiserweight contender Jordan ‘Troublesome’ Thompson 15-0 (12) believes he is ready to become world champion even if the opportunity came earlier than he anticipated.

The 30-year-old Brit will get his shot when he takes on IBF and Ring Magazine champion Jai Opetaia 22-0 (17) at Wembley Arena in London, England on Saturday night.

“There was not really any time to plan for this, we’ve had to improvise, but I am some that firmly believes in myself and my potential, I know where it comes from and I am excited to go out there and prove to the world and to myself that I’ve got what it takes to become a world champion,” Thompson said.

“This is just another chapter to the story, another stepping stone and we’re going to show everyone.

“[Traie r] Tony Sims doesn’t say anything unless he means it. Tony will tell you about the graft I have been putting in and the sacrifices I’ve been making, the changes I’ve made.

“I am someone that every time I walk in the gym, I leave it as an improved version of myself, I am like a sponge. The work ethic in the Matchroom gym is second to none.

“I am a very adaptable fighter, I’ve shown that in my fights. There are various styles I can incorporate in the ring, various ways I can win the fight and we’ve prepared for whatever, we’re ready for whatever and we’re willing to do whatever it takes when it comes to it.

“There is absolutely no doubt about it, I know I have been highly blessed and I can’t wait to go out there and claim what’s mine on Saturday night. We all know boxing and what it takes to become a world champion. I am going to take the belts off him and I am going to do it by knockout.

Australian southpaw Opetaia’s world title reign dates back to July last year but this will be his first opportunity to defend the belts after being forced to spend on the sidelines due to injuries and trouble securing an opponent.

The 28-year-old says the delay has only made him hungrier and he will enter the ring with a challenger’s mentality.

“We’re ready, we deserve to be here, I have earned this spot and I am excited. I want to earn respect for my team and my country, I’m ready,” Opetaia said.

“It was a long recovery and a few things didn’t go to plan getting back in the ring, but we’re here now. We’ve grown outside the ring and inside the ring, I am just ready to show it on Saturday night.

“We adapt as well, to all different styles. I’ve been boxing my whole life, I’ve earned this, it didn’t happen by accident. So Saturday night, we do it again.

“I want to collect all the cruiserweight titles. I’m winning this fight, however it happens, it happens.”