Home Boxing News Jermell Charlo vs Terence Crawford bout died the moment he lost to...

Jermell Charlo vs Terence Crawford bout died the moment he lost to Canelo Alvarez

Jermell Charlo and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez. Photo credit: The Independent

Jermell Charlo 35-2-1 (19) was hoping that victory over undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 60-2-2 (39) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday night would pave the way for a fight against undisputed welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 40-0 (31).

The 33-year-old Texan became undisputed champion at junior middleweight with a 10th round knockout of Brian Castano 17-1-2 (12) in their rematch in May last year.

After a hand injury late last year forced the postponement of his scheduled January bout against WBO mandatory contender Tim Tszyu 23-0 (17), Charlo was drafted in to face Mexican superstar Alvarez, 33, two divisions above his natural weight class.

It didn’t work out well for Charlo. The challenger barely won a round and was on the canvas in the seventh, losing by scores of 119-108 and 118-109 twice.

Before the fight Charlo revealed his future plans. He expected to give Alvarez a rematch after beating him, then defending his new titles against Crawford, who has previously expressed desire to move up three weight classes to face Alvarez.

Charlo, who still holds the WBC, WBA and IBF 154-pound titles, was stripped of the WBO belt when he stepped into the ring against Alvarez. Australian Tszyu was elevated to full champion. The 28-year-old will defend the belt against American Brian Mendoza 22-2 (16)on the Gold Coast in Queensland on October 15.

“I guess the winner of him and Mendoza, or whoever I gotta fight. I’m down to fight whoever,” Charlo said in his post-fight interview with Showtime’s Jim Gray.

“I want to fight Terence Crawford, fuck that. I could fight Terence Crawford in my weight division. I know he’s somewhere around this joint. I’ll fight Terence Crawford. Let him fight Errol Spence [in a rematch] and get that out of the way. I’m about to get right back in training, don’t worry about it.”

It seems that Crawford is less keen on the idea.

“Jermell Charlo, you went out sad,” the 36-year-old switch-hitter from Omaha, Nebraska posted on social media site X, formerly known as Twitter.

“Didn’t even try to win, all you did was try to survive. You should be ashamed of yourself.”

And just to rub further salt into the wound, Crawford added: “Congratulations Canelo you made the so called lion look like a baby cub.”

Charlo said the extra weight he was carrying didn’t feel the way he expected it to in the fight.

“I felt like I wasn’t me in there,” Charlo said. “I don’t make excuses for myself, it is what it is. I take my punches and roll with it. This is boxing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It is what it is.

“Truthfully, you can feel the difference in the weight. I jumped up 14-pounds. I [was] undisputed [at 154-pounds], so I was daring to be great right now. You fall short sometimes, but you gotta just keep on pushing. My road don’t stop right here.”

Where that road leads in still undecided, but it seems certain it won’t wind past Crawford’s door.

“Ok y’all I’m over Jermell Charlo he’s no longer on my hit list,” Crawford said.

“He went out there and laid down and let Canelo spank him like he was his daddy with no type of resistance.”