Home Boxing News Tim Tszyu slams Jermell Charlo for fighting to survive against Canelo Alvarez

Tim Tszyu slams Jermell Charlo for fighting to survive against Canelo Alvarez

Tim Tszyu. Photo credit: Gregg Porteous/No Limit Boxing

Jermell Charlo 35-2-1 (19) has been criticised for not doing enough to try to defeat undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 60-2-2 (39) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old Texan was light on offence throughout the fight, which was reflected on the scorecards which read 119-108 and 118-109 twice.

Charlo jumped up two weight classes to challenge Alvarez, a move that cost him his WBO junior middleweight belt. He still retains the WBC, WBA and IBF 154-pound titles, but the WBO strap in now in the hands of rising Australian Tim Tszyu 23-0 (17) who was elevated from interim champion.

The 28-year-old Sydneysider, who will defend the belt against American Brian Mendoza 22-2 (16) on the Gold Coast on October 14, is amongst the chorus of voices saying they expected Charlo to try harder to get the win.

“In all honesty, I thought the fight wasn’t as competitive at all,” Tszyu said to Fox Sports Australia.

“I felt Charlo just went in there to survive. He was working a lot on defense. He never made it competitive. Like, he never really went out there and said, ‘You know what, I’m going to have a go at it.’

“Even when his coach was saying he was losing the fight, you need to go out there and actually go at it. He never pushed it, never put the press up, just moved around backwards. He had a certain game plan stuck in his head and just tried to move around and not get hit, and that was it.

“Good on him for surviving the whole 12 rounds, that’s an achievement on its own. But it’s not an achievement to lose the fight. You’ve got to go out there to win. Either win or die on your shield, as they say.”

Undisputed welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 40-0 (31), who has previously been touted at a potential future opponent for Charlo, did not mince his words when it came to the former undisputed junior middleweight champion’s performance.

“Jermell Charlo, you went out sad,” Crawford said. “Didn’t even try to win, all you did was try to survive. You should be ashamed of yourself. Congratulations Canelo, you made the so called lion look like a baby cub.”

He added: “Okay y’all. I’m over Jermell Charlo, he’s no longer on my hit list. He went out there and laid down and let Canelo spank him like he was his daddy with no type of resistance.”

Mexican superstar Alvarez, 33, was more tempered in his comments while essentially saying the same thing.

“I think that happened with a lotta fighters,” Alvarez said during his post-fight press conference. “That’s not on my mind, right, to survive. It’s not that way, but I did my job. I did my job. And I think he never [did] something to win.”

Charlo admitted he could have been more active, but explained why he opted for a cautious approach.

“I feel like you can’t just charge in with a fighter,” Charlo said. “You know, his power did play an effect, but it wasn’t like too dominant, to a point where I couldn’t come forward. And I should’ve came forward a little bit more in this fight. But I’m human and just tried lateral movement. And like I said I felt some of his punches, so it’s cool.”