Home Boxing News Ryan Garcia returns against Oscar Duarte, promoter Oscar De La Hoya hits...

Ryan Garcia returns against Oscar Duarte, promoter Oscar De La Hoya hits back at critics

Ryan Garcia
Ryan Garcia and Oscar De La Hoya.

Ryan ‘Kingry’ Garcia 23-1 (19) will be looking to bounce back from his first professional loss when he takes on Oscar ‘La Migraña’ Duarte 26-1-1 (21) on December 2 at a venue to be determined live on DAZN.

The 25-year-old Garcia of Los Angeles was last in action in April when he was knocked out in seven rounds by southpaw puncher Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis 29-0 (27) in 136-pound catchweight bout. Garcia has previously stated his desire to campaign in the junior welterweight division.

“Let’s go! I am so excited to announce that I will be fighting Oscar Duarte on December 2,” Garcia said.

“I’m back and feeling better and stronger than before. I wanted Duarte for me and for the fans. He’s tough and I’m ready to give people another show at my best weight again.

“Say whatever you want about Ryan Garcia, but I’m always going to give the fans what they want. Love you. See you December 2 on DAZN.”

Mexican Duarte, 27, has been beaten just once but is taking a big step up in class.

“I am ready to win this fight. I will lift the name of Mexico up on high,” said Duarte, who has stopped his last 11 opponents.

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya sees the fight as an opportunity to relaunch the Garcia brand.

“This is one of the reasons fight fans love Ryan — instead of taking baby steps back after a hard fought fight, he is returning against a guy with lethal power who doesn’t take a step backwards,” the Golden Boy Promotions boss said.

“Whoever emerges victorious is immediately in line for a shot against any of the current world champions. Fans aren’t going to want to miss this one.”

The relationship between Garcia and his promoter has been one marred by conflict. According to ESPN, Garcia’s team sent Golden Boy a demand letter in June stating that their contract had been breached. Mediation was set down to begin on October 18.

Against this backdrop, De La Hoya has pressed ahead with Garcia’s next fight.

Not everyone is happy with the opponent though. Certain sections of Boxing X – formerly known as Boxing Twitter – believe Garcia should be facing a tougher test as he endeavours to get back in the win column and kickstart his career.

De La Hoya was having none of it.

“People who do not know boxing are just plain stupid,” De La Hoya wrote on social media.

“How can you knock on Ryan when he [i]s fighting a KO artist in Oscar Duarte. When you get knocked out you choose an easy fight next, Ryan is taking big risk.”

Garcia has one of the biggest followings on social media of all active boxers. If he can get himself ranked in the 140-pound division, he will be a welcome addition to the world title mix.